Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2014 16:00

Delay after pressing power button

Hello everyone,

I've got an Optiplex 3020 that would not power back on if it was shut down.  The workaround was to unplug PSU, wait 20-30 seconds, plug back in, and press power button.  I swapped PSU with a known good, now after shutting down I can press power button and it will start up, but with a 9 second delay from pressing power button to any signs of life (activity, fan noise, led).  Also, if I restart (as opposed to shut down) it starts back up with no problem/no delay.  I suspect it is motherboard related, but not sure what other potential causes there could be.  Any ideas?

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

September 12th, 2014 08:00

Hi BCurl,

Thanks for the post! Initially I would suggest updating your systems BIOS to the latest revision if you’ve not already done so. A03 was revised with a fix for performance issues at POST so should have your system running normally again.

It’s possible if this does not resolve the issue an attached peripheral device is interrupting the systems start up process. Try unplugging any externally attached devices such as printers / hard drives and testing power up again.

Another possibility is that this is caused by your sleep settings, you and change the sleep settings in the BIOS to test.

Block Sleep - This option lets you block the system entering to sleep (S3 state) mode in OS environment. When enabled, the system won't go to sleep mode, Intel Rapid Start will be disabled automatically and OS Power option will be blank if it was set to Sleep earlier. Default setting: Disabled Set to Enable.
Deep Sleep Control - Controls where deep sleep is enabled. The options are Disabled, Enabled in S5 only and Enabled in S4 and S5. Default setting: Enabled in S4 and S5 Change to Disabled.

Dell OptiPlex 3020 System BIOS

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=MGRXJ&osCode=W732&fileId=3364152587&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

Let us know how it goes,

2 Posts

September 12th, 2014 10:00

Thanks Shawn, I'm embarrassed to admit that I forgot about updating BIOS, haha.  I will try all of these when I can get my hands back on the system.  Thank you again.

No Events found!