Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 18th, 2010 21:00

Delete RAID 1 volume?

I followed my Dimension 8400 user manual but the instructions are wrong.  It says a "Delete RAID Volume Wizard" will run when I try to delete the volume but it just tells me that I can't delete a system volume.  I want to go back to two separate drives without having to delete everything.  I originally used the Intel Storage Utility to migrate two drives to a mirror setup.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 18th, 2010 22:00

mrosen

First, as a precaution, backup all of your important files and folders to either a USB flash drive, or external hard drive.

Boot the system, press CTRL+I [ i ] when indicated to enter the RAID BIOS setup, select Delete Raid Volume and set the drives to a non-RAID configuration.

With RAID 1, you should have 2 hard drives that are exactly the same, after this, you can partition and format the second hard drive.

For RAID 0, you would loose all data on both drives and need to reinstall windows.

You will receive a message saying, the RAID volume data will be lost, this is a true statement for RAID 0, but not for RAID 1 and can be ignore, your data on the  RAID 1 volumes should be safe.

After exiting, you should see two hard drives as Non-Raid either immediately or after a reboot.

Bev.

2 Posts

April 26th, 2010 19:00

Thankfully I have a backup as this was incorrect.  Deleting the RAID 1 volume did indeed wipe my data.  I rebooted and it could not find a boot drive.  I am in the process of starting to reinstall windows.

No Events found!