Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2009 08:00

Delivery in Cold Weather

Hi all,

Quick question - my XPS 730x was delivered to my house at 11:00 this morning and will be sitting on the porch in the 20 degree (Fahrenheit) weather until I get home at 3:00 - so about 4 hours.  Will the system be ok to boot up when I get home, or will I need to wait for the computer to warm up?  If so, how long should I wait?

Thanks!

63 Posts

January 14th, 2009 09:00

I can't see any issue myself, as long as it has not got damp inside, which unless it rains on it, (I assume it's a covered porch) it should not.

I would be more worried that it is actually there when I got home.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to my XPS 730 arriving in about 2 weeks...

6.4K Posts

January 14th, 2009 10:00

You might be able to get away with turning it on immediately, but doing so is likely to increase the stress on the hard drive.  Since the drive is not hermetically sealed, moisture can enter the drive enclosure and condense on still cold parts, like the platters.  If it runs, the temperature will also rise dramatically causing rapid expansion of various mechanical parts.  I've always been told that the computer should be allowed to get close to room temperature before switching on the power.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 14th, 2009 13:00

RynTarran

I agree with Jack.

Unbox the computer and wait until it's a room temperature, before using the system.    :emotion-5:

Bev.

10 Posts

January 14th, 2009 13:00

Should not be a problem. I had the same thing happened where my Inspiron was delivered when it was 20 F outside. After I picked my laptop, I found that it was too cold. I let it sit for a while & switched it on and had no issues. Later, when I looked at its specs, I noticed that the Dell laptops are built to withstand harsh temperatures e.g. the storage temperature limit is -50 F to 150 F.

No Events found!