Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2014 11:00

Dell 3020 No Serial Communication

We purchased a batch of 25 DELL Optiplex 3020 computers. The "full height serial adapter cards" were mistakenly not installed on the whole order. Dell sent me 25 full height serial adapter cards. 

I'm currently trying to install the cards. Unsuccessfully. I've tried the following:

1. plug ribbon cable in to motherboard header
  2. Power on PC, pressing F2 for BIOS
  3. In BIOS:  Enable serial (com1). Save. Reboot.
  4. connect serial loopback connector to serial port
  5. once in Windows (Win7x64), use WinSSD to preform serial loopback
  6. Failure. 

I've tried switching the serial port in the BIOS to every com available with no change in failure. 

Updated BIOS to A03

(had line item " - Fixed Serial/Parallel card is detected as an unclassified card." under 'fixes and enhancements' section. Assume it's actually for PCIe card, not adapter card.)

I've successfully used a PS2 mouse on the PS/2 port.

I've used WinSSD w/ serial loopback dongle on many other dell platforms (390, 3010, 9010, 9020, XE2). Just now successfully rechecked on an XE2 system to make sure the loopback adapter is functioning properly.  

Not sure where to go from here? 

4 Posts

July 24th, 2014 15:00

Hi, I am having the exact same issue. I have done exactly what you have as far as BIOS and verifying my loopback tester was good on other dell workstation platforms.... Have you been able to find a resolution yet? I was able to successfully as a serial port with a USB to Serial port adapter.

4 Posts

July 25th, 2014 13:00

Hi Thank you. Thats great as I miss Hyper Terminal.. I have tried with other programs and still the same result. Could there be an issue in the bios or motherboard?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 25th, 2014 13:00

WINSSD is not Dell Software and not supported here.

The Serial PS2/Port Adapter adds PS2 functionality to your system.

Its not a card that plugs into the bus but rather a bracket that has USB to serial and PS2 adapter that plugs into the motherboard.

Windows 7 doesn't come with Hyperterm.

The Help file system is also missing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

So here is how to get HyperTerminal on to Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit).
On the Windows 7 box make a new folder under C:\Program Files\HyperTerminal for 32-bit and for 64-bit make a new folder C:\Program Files (x86)\HyperTerminal

From a Windows XP box and copy the following 3 files to the folder that was just created on the Windows 7 box:

C:\Program Files\Windows NT\hypertrm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hypertrm.dll
C:\WINDOWS\Help\hypertrm.chm

Now just run hypertrm.exe and HyperTerminal is on Windows 7

4 Posts

July 25th, 2014 14:00

Thank you for that information. I still get the same result though. I tried to change COM port to 2 in the BIOS as well as the pinouts you mentioned. I am stumped on this one! Thank you for the advice thus far.

4 Posts

Thank you. The part # that they sent us was  # 310-5496. Maybe its not the right one for the 3020s? I hope not because I have 19 machines all doing the same thing :-)

When I boot up my break out box all the LEDs show red (not green like other PCs) ...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

I would have to question the exact part number for the cable and the adapter. Are they Manufacturer Part# : G257D
Dell Part# : 310-6685  ?

There are different models for various optiplex units.  Without trying Hyperterminal on the correct port being identified in bios at 9600 N 8 1 Plain text typing I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Those units are USB to serial and the chip on them is fairly specific.

Cisco router console ports are what these are used for where I am.

Its plain jane 9600  RS232 not 115,200 RS422 connecton.

The Serial PS2 Port Adapter from Dell™ adds PS2 functionality to your system. This product has been tested and validated on Dell systems. It is supported by Dell Technical Support when used with a Dell system.

Dell Y9001 Low Profile Version - OptiPlex Serial P/S2 Add-In Card Assembly

Dell Serial P/S2 Add-In Card and Cable Assembly for Select OptiPlex Systems, Low Profile, SFF, Desktop, MT, Add-In Card, Dell Y9001, N3563. 

Part Number(s): Y9001/ 0Y9001 Serial/ PS2 ADD-IN Card, LOW Profile For Dell ComputersCategory: Internal Parts and assembliesSub Category: Boards (Control)Notes: D9906 PWA, I/ O, SER/ PS2, DT, LPF, ULD, N3563 CBL, CRD-SER, PS2, DC431 Tape, ADH, DBL, .045IN THK, VHB, HH, MC355 Brkt, MTG, MET, HH, 2.0, 01157 Stdf, HEX W/ Wshr, 4-40X.250, STLPart Number Y9001/ 0Y9001 compatible with the following Dell Models:

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Check Device Manager and See if the Serial Port is recognized.  If it is check in bios and set the COM port for COM2: instead of Auto as it may interfere with the INTEL AMT SOL Serial Port.

Loopback Plug may need several wires.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 12th, 2014 06:00

That model appears to be for OptiPlex 330/ 780 DT/ 780 MT/ 780 SFF/ 780 USFF aka G257D

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

September 15th, 2014 05:00

thanks for the replies, i believe the main problem is finding the correct part number.

you mentioned asking chris m, not sure who he is, how do i contact him.

thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 15th, 2014 07:00

He's at the top of most of the forums.

DELL-Chris M

October 30th, 2014 09:00

Having the same problem with the Serial/PS2 add in bracket on both OptiPlex 3020SF/Y73TJ and 3020MT/F6VNT.

Did anyone find a solution to get the Serial port working with the add in card?

June 30th, 2015 00:00

For the Dell Optiplex 3020 all drivers update, you can download it from here: www.driverdr.com/.../dell-optiplex-3020-drivers-free-download

2 Posts

June 30th, 2015 06:00

This thread is more than a year old.

Just as an update, Dell never resolved my problem. I spent hours on the phone with different support technicians, they all told me my issue was a "Driver problem" with my serial loopback device. When I explained that serial devices don't use drivers, as it's a protocol, they would just repeat themselves- insisting the device I'm connecting to the serial port needs its own manufacturer's driver. I escalated the issue to a supervisor who told me the same thing. Called back again- none of my calls were logged/put in dell's ticket system.

We've since dropped the Dell 3020.

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 06:00

I experienced many troubles with Serial comm on DELL Optiplex X0X0 (3010,3020,7010,7020,9010,9020).  I solved my issues by installing a 3rd party serial card with the PLX/OXFORD OXPCIe952 Chipset.   Below are the details.  

I have experienced many troubles when Serial Cards contain the MOSCHIP chipset on the DELL OptiPlex 3020.   I purchased two Serial Cards both with the same CHIPSET (STARTECH, VANTECH), both MOSCHIP chipset.  Serial devices had been configured for Truck Stop Weight Scale (Fairbanks 9406 series) with continuous Serial Communication with continuous data stream.

I have had the following issue with the card:

-          The Serial Card would Idle after a period of TIME, (5-15 minutes).   Originally though the issue was related to the PCIe power saving specifications but I am sure the issues are attributed to the MOSCHIP as well.  Typically I would have to CLOSE and then REOPEN the port for the serial Card to process the incoming data stream

-          After a period of time (few days) the card would drop from the OS, (unavailable within Device Mgr).  Attempts at removing the DRIVER, Rebooting, Reinstalling the Driver failed to find the MOSCHIP Serial Card.   To get the card working again required physically reseating the Card in a different PCIe SLOT for the OS to recognize the Serial Card

Requirements for successful communication: 

- Disable all Power Saving Settings in BIOS
- Disable all onboard CommPorts in BIOS
- Disable all Windows Power Options Features, Specifically:
-- PCIe Link State Power Management - OFF
-- USB selective suspending Setting - DISABLE  "this should not be necessary w/ PCIe"

CORRECTIVE ACTION:  Purchase a Serial Card with PLX/OXFORD OXPCIe952 Chipset.  For my DELL 3020, 7020, 9020 Optiplex machines) I have been using the STARTECH PEX1S1P952 (containing the PLX/Oxford - OXPCIe952 chipset) as this work for my needs. 

My hope is others my find this helpful.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 3rd, 2015 08:00

I have used SEDNA - PCI Express 2 Port Serial Adapter Cards with Oxford OXPCIe952 chipset without issues other than turning off PCI-E power saving.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1JM0GE0973

http://www.amazon.com/SEDNA-Express-OXPCIe952-Brackets-Included/dp/B00GB3CVIO

No Events found!