Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2009 14:00

Dell 4700 doesn't see CD, DVD or HDD IDE Drives

Have just acquired a Dell Dimension 4700 desktop with a SATA HDD. Am trying to add an optical drive and a IDE hdd. No matter what combination of jumpers (CS, Master, Slave, etc)  and cable cable connections (first or second connector), none of them have been recognized. Have tried 4 CD drives, 2 DVD drives and 1 HDD. No cigar!

What gives? Thanks.

8 Posts

August 15th, 2009 15:00

Before starting the thread, I had checked the Device Mgr to be sure that the IDE controllers were working, which they were, and so it did not occur to me, given this my first SATA computer, that IDE might not be enabled.

I was poking around in the BIOS Setup fishing for anything and, lo and behold, they were not enabled. And so enabled them and that problem solved.

However, iat does beg the question, exactly what is the ide controller vs enabling IDE?

While I am at it, is it possible to use an eide to sata converter so as to have all my old ide devices running under sata? If so, does this apply to ide optical and hard drives?

Thanks.

8 Posts

August 15th, 2009 16:00

Thanks for that info. Did not think to ask about power connectors, but when using the ide>SATA convertor, can the normal molex for ide drives be used or must one use a convertor for the SATA power cable as well?

One practical difficulty in using an ide hdd and an ide optical drive is that the latter goes into a 5 1/4" slot in the top of the case and there is no room for a 3.5" hdd there. The apparent place for another hdd is behind the sata one which is mounted at the bottom of the case in a vertical position. There is no way the master and slave connectors on a normal ide cable would span that gap. Is there an ide cable with about 8-10" between the master connector and the slave?

Or is there another way to skin that cat? TIA

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Odysseus42

Yes, I do believe that the IDE to SATA convertors can be used with the 4-pin Molex power connector.

See HERE

The 4700 has two 5.25" bays, you can install a 3.5" hard drive in a 5.25" bay using a Mounting Bracket Universal Adaptor, similar to THIS

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Odysseus42

Yes, you can use IDE to SATA adaptors, but the 4700 motherboard only has two SATA connectors, that allows two SATA devices to be used and one IDE controller for two IDE devices.

Dell's default configuration for the 4700 is two SATA hard drives and two IDE optical drives.

To use additional SATA devices, you would need to install a PCI SATA controller card.

See HERE

Bev.

No Events found!