Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

March 31st, 2012 16:00

Dell 530 keeps rebooting

Hello,

When I turn on my DELL Inspiron 530, it beeps once, then shows me the DELL screen (the one with the options F2 and F12), then restarts again and the same thing happen. The fans are working but they are quiet. My clock is working when I go into the BIOS setup, so maybe it is not the battery. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  

Willy 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 31st, 2012 18:00

One beep is a BIOS checksum failure, meaning a possible motherboard failure.

Run BIOS Setup and copy down all the current settings. Then:

Power off and unplug

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Open case and remove motherboard battery 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Press/hold power button for ~30 sec

Reinstall battery (right-side-up!). If  the 3-volt CR2032 coin cell battery is more than ~2-3 years old, this might be a good time to install a new one.

If it boots to desktop now, reboot and go back into BIOS Setup. Change the BIOS settings to match what you wrote down.

April 1st, 2012 15:00

Removed the battery and followed the steps above (pressing the power button, etc). The problem persists. Do you have any other suggestions? Should I run any tests? Currently running the test from the DELL diagnostics CD. So far it has passed all test. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Willy 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

April 1st, 2012 18:00

Are you still getting 1 beep at boot?

Complete the diagnostics from the CD and write down any error messages.

What color is the power button?  Blue or amber? Steady or blinking?

Have you tried disconnecting all peripherals except mouse, monitor and keyboard?

What version of Windows?

What happens if you boot in Safe Mode? Reboot and press F8. Select Safe Mode from the list.

If that doesn't help, power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open the case and carefully reseat RAM modules and PCI cards in their slots. Check that all cables are firmly connected. If still no luck, try removing all RAM modules, except the one in slot 1 and then reboot. Then swap all RAM modules into slot 1 to see if you can identify one that failed*.

Also, you may want to strip the PC down to bare essentials. Disconnect all drives except the boot hard drive, remove all PCI cards except video card. After doing that, reboot and go into BIOS setup to turn off the ports where the (disconnected) drives were connected. Save the changes and reboot.

EDIT: Always power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before doing any work inside the case.

No Events found!