Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

TS

July 1st, 2006 19:00

Dell 5650 5.1 Speakers, Volume Inconsistent

My Dell 5650 speakers have been working fine for 2 years. Now the volume will just randomly lower itself and then increase back to normal.

I have tested if the volume jumps around on the Headphone Jack on the Tower. It has not changed volume there.

It affects all speakers at the same time. They will all lower their volumes and then increase them.

Is this a voltage problem?

130 Posts

July 3rd, 2006 12:00

Well it could mean that there something wrong with your speakers but its hard to say, sometimes if you have any audio effect plugins on WMP that can sometimes cause a decrease in volume.

Try re-installing the Audio drivers and if that dont make a difference then i would get your speakers looked at.

You could test the speakers on a different media device such as a Console, (if it can connect to a console) and if it works fine there then it has to be something on your PC which is causing it.

Good luck :D

Message Edited by UT2005 on 07-03-200608:09 AM

1 Message

July 20th, 2006 21:00

To answer the above question, I found that early versions of IE6 would lower my sound on random web sites. As security fixes were rolled out, the problem disappeared.

Now, as for me, my oddity is that my front L and R speakers will not produce sound. My center speaker, rear L and R, and subwoofer are fine. I have my speaker configuration as 5.1.

There is no way to plug the speakers into the subwoofer improperly, and the subwoofer into the sound card improperly.

Is 5.1 NOT the correct setting? BTW, Dell 5650, as above.

Thanks for your time,
Wayne in PA

7 Posts

July 26th, 2006 17:00

Same model, Dell 5650 5.1 system, 2 years old, similar problem here, it does occur on both games and MP3s (iTunes).  It's like a 1-2 second diminution of volume during playback (I've had the volume control open when it happens, and no, it doesn't actually affect the master volume or wave sliders).  I also tried upgrading to the newest Creative drivers, to no avail.  It doesn't occur on headphones, either.  I seemed to notice a significant change in volume (increase) when I shut the sub on and off, which is what makes me think it is a power supply issue. Of course it's out of warranty, and as far as I can tell, the x. speakers are worthless without a good sub and power supply.  This would be the second component of my 8400 system to fail, the first being the DVD burner, which Dell would not replace 2 weeks after the warranty expired. 

7 Posts

September 8th, 2006 20:00

Same speakers, same problem after 2 years ok.
Now sounds decrease for a short time before returning to normal, this happened at any moment with any kind of program (itunes, Windows media players, games...).
I tried to find where this can come from, and i record the output sound of my sound card to a file with a program done for. And when the lowering occurs, it's not recorded on the file, that mean its occurs after the sound cars, so it must be a problem with speakers :(.

September 9th, 2006 15:00

Good, so atleast we all know now that the Dell 5650 5.1 Speakers begin to fail after 2 years of use. So I'd recommend not buying these speakers. It would be nice to get a recall.

1 Message

March 15th, 2009 11:00

Same problem here.  Two years and audio levels cut in and out.  Tried multiple computers and they exhibit the same problem on all of them.

Is there a replacement or aftermarket set that will snap into my Dell LCD display?

This is sad since I had to revert back to my old Boston Acoustics speakers which have been working for 12+ years now!  Come on Dell!

6 Posts

June 17th, 2009 10:00

I have the same problem.  It looks as though this is a common fault with no solution that I can find.

1 Message

July 29th, 2009 12:00

Same here.  This is extremely frustrating.  I upgraded my soundcard hoping that was the issue (i wanted to upgrade anyway) and it was not so i knew it was the speakers.  Definitely seems like a power source issue.  Since I upgraded the card though, i dont have the cash to get some speakers right now.  This should not be happening at only 2 years in.

1 Message

September 8th, 2009 14:00

I had the same problems as WaynePA described with my Dell 5650 5.1 speakers.

I found a solution that fixed mine.

First i turned off my computer and unplugged everything

Next i took out the sound card (I have a Creative SB X-Fi) and blew out the slot it went in.

I also blew out the audio jacks on the sound card, and on the back of the subwoofer.

I plugged everything back in and turned my computer on and then turned the speakers and they work fine now.

hope this helps.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2010 09:00

I've had the 5650 speakers for over 5 years and haven't had a single problem with them. Got lucky, I guess :)

No Events found!