Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

GE

April 22nd, 2013 13:00

Dell 690 Diagnostic lights on startup

Hi

I seem to be a bit unlucky of late. My Dell 690 has been having lockups and I am having the following diagnostic lights come on. Power button steady orange and lights 1 and 3.  The Dell manual for the 690 doesn't list that configuration, but I have taken it to mean check the memory modules are seated and reseated. I have done that and when I do so I seem to be able to restart and use Windows 7 64 bit. But then the problems return. Examples: cannot find the printer and Control Panel freezes. Word 2007 fails to start and locks up trying to do a repair.  I have reduced the RAM to two 1GB sticks and don't think that they are defective so I am at a loss as to what I can do next. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 14:00

1 & 3 = Ram Tastes Bad.  Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error exists The Amber power light in combination with that could be Bad power supply.

Diagnostic Lights

CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions located in the Product Information Guide.

To help you troubleshoot a problem, your computer has four lights labeled "A," "B," "C," and "D" on the back panel. The lights can be yellow or green. When the computer starts normally, the lights flash. After the computer starts, all four lights display solid green. If the computer malfunctions, the color and sequence of the lights identify the problem.

Light Pattern 

Problem Description 

Suggested Resolution 

The computer is in a normal off condition or a possible pre-BIOS failure has occurred.

Plug the computer into a working electrical outlet and press the power button.

A possible processor failure has occurred.

Contact Dell.

Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.

• If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module, and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer.
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell.

A possible graphics card failure has occurred.

• If the computer has a graphics card, remove the card, reinstall it (see "PCI Express Cards"), and then restart the computer.
  • If the problem still exists, install a graphics card that you know works and restart the computer.
  • If the problem persists or the computer has integrated graphics, contact Dell.

A possible floppy or hard drive failure has occurred.

Reseat all power and data cables and restart the computer.

A possible USB failure has occurred.

Reinstall all USB devices, check cable connections, and then restart the computer.

No memory modules are detected.

• If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module, and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer.

Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error exists.

• Ensure that no special memory module/memory connector placement requirements exist (see "Memory").
  • Verify that the memory modules that you are installing are compatible with your computer (see "Memory").

A possible expansion card failure has occurred.

1. Determine if a conflict exists by removing a card (not a graphics card) (see "Cards") and restarting the computer.
  2. If the problem persists, reinstall the card that you removed, remove a different card, and then restart the computer.
  3. Repeat this process for each card. If the computer starts normally, troubleshoot the last card removed from the computer for resource conflicts.
  4. If the problem persists, contact Dell.

Another failure has occurred.

• Ensure that the cables are properly connected to the system board from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive.
  • If there is an error message on your screen identifying a problem with a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check the device to make sure it is functioning properly.
  • The operating system is attempting to boot from a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive); check system setup (see "Boot Sequence") to make sure the boot sequence is correct for the devices installed on your computer.

The computer is in a normal operating condition after POST.

None.

If the power light is green and the computer is not responding  —  Check "Diagnostic Lights."

If the power light is blinking green  —  The computer is in standby mode. Press a key on the keyboard or move the mouse to resume normal operation.

If the power light is off  —  The computer is either turned off or is not receiving power.

Reseat the power cable into both the power connector on the back of the computer and the electrical outlet.

If the computer is plugged into a power strip, ensure that the power strip is plugged into an electrical outlet and that the power strip is turned on. Also bypass power protection devices, power strips, and power extension cables to verify that the computer turns on properly.

Ensure that the electrical outlet is working by testing it with another device, such as a lamp.

Ensure that the main power cable and front panel cable are securely connected to the system board.

If the power light is amber and green or steady amber  —  

A device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed. (Bad CPU)

Remove and then reinstall the memory modules.

Remove and then reinstall any cards.

Remove and then reinstall the graphics card, if applicable.

If the power light is blinking amber  —

The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power supply problem might exist.

Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).

Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.

Eliminate interference  —  Some possible causes of interference are:

Power, keyboard, and mouse extension cables

Too many devices on a power strip

Multiple power strips connected to the same electrical outlet

April 23rd, 2013 05:00

Hi Speedstep

Thanks but the diagnostic lights on the 690 are on the front panel and are numbered. The Dell manual does not mention a situation where the power button is a steady, unblinking light with lights 1 and 3 on.  The only way to exit is to pull the plug. If it helps the graphics card fan is continually on whilst the workstation is unable to start.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 10:00

Power supply is likely bad.   Take out all cards and remove power and data from hard drives.

It should then beep.  There isn't any re-seating or reconnecting that fixes physically bad RAM/Power supply.

April 24th, 2013 06:00

Thanks SpeedStep.

If I do what you suggest and the computer beeps. What does that signify? That power is there? if so what would be the next step?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 24th, 2013 11:00

There is no one size fits all Beep.  Thats why they are coded.  

Not beeping at all means your cpu is dead or psu is dead or some other item thats low level that is dead.

1 Message

February 18th, 2016 12:00

what about the first 3 lights amber and the last one green?

No Events found!