Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2013 09:00

Dell 690 fitting memory

Hi

I have discovered that one of the clips of my memory slots is missing. The damaged slot is slot 2 in the second bank (black colour) Since I bought the 690 on eBay the seller offered to replace the memory 1G that was fitted in the damaged slot with two 2TGB sticks.

I now have in bank 1: a pair of 2GB sticks and a pair of 1GB sticks. The system works with thst memory installed if I leave Bank 2: slots one and two empty and have two 1GB sticks in slot 3 and 4. I get lights one and three during POST and a buzzing. Does this suggest that I can't leave Bank two slots 1 and 2 empty?

All the 1GB sticks are working. Diagram using numerals to represent memory installed:  2 2 1 1   0 0 1 1.

I have tried filling all slots: 2 2 1 1  1 1 1 1. With the same result as before.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 8th, 2013 12:00

Precision 690?

According to the manual, quote:

Fully buffered DDR2 memory modules can also be installed in pairs of two; in this case, the computer will continue to operate, but with a slight reduction in performance.

The pairs must be matched in size, rank, and organization. Install memory modules in order of their labels on the system board; matched sets of four should be installed first into DIMM slots 1-4 and then into DIMM slots 5-8 on the system board.

Pairs of memory should be first installed into slots DIMM_1, and DIMM_2, then DIMM_3 and DIMM_4, and so on.

So you shouldn't leave slots 5 and 6 empty if 7 and 8 are filled. That's what lights 1+3 mean: Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error exists.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 8th, 2013 15:00

If you glue that module in place, you have to hope it never fails because you may never get it out of the slot again. Not to mention what the heat might do...

Even with retention clips, modules may need to be reseated from time to time, so you'll have to keep an eye on it, especially if you start getting memory errors.

The seller should give you some incentive to keep it with the broken clip since she/he didn't tell you about it prior to the purchase. 50% refund off purchase price sounds "fair" to me.  :emotion-4:

February 8th, 2013 14:00

Thanks RoHe I now have all slots filled. I wonder how durable the memory is in the socket that has a broken clip? Someone suggested using a hot melt glue gun to secure it, but thst sound a bit tricky to me.

February 9th, 2013 07:00

Thanks RoHe.  The workstation was shipped in a Dell carton but without the proper packing.  The front panel had a dent in it that prevented access until I managed to remove the dent.  I throughly inspected the computer and discovered the broken clip and the bit broken off. The buyer offered two 2GB sticks of memory in compensation for my troubles.

It now seems that if the memory in slot Dimm_6 fails All I will have is the memory that can be fitted in Dimms 1-4. Which will mean 16GB with 4GB sticks. But it seems that 4GB sticks are hard to come by at a reasonable price. The machine has two Quad E5320 core processors  albeit running  at 1.86GHz. It is running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Even with shipping I paid less than 300 GBP for it. It also didn't have a stand with it but I don't think it is likely to fall over.

I need to decide now whether to keep it or if I do, to ask the seller for a rebate, 50 per cent would be, I think, too much to ask for. I don't know whether the clip was broken before or was caused by  the force that made the dent. It is to the credit of Dell that these workstations can be packed in a cardboard box with totally inadequate packing and still survive! Covering the box in tape with "Fragile" on it might have helped.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 9th, 2013 17:00

I was joking about the 50% but start high and compromise later, assuming you decide to keep it. Maybe the seller can file a claim with the shipping company and get enough to swap the motherboard...

No Events found!