Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2016 08:00

Dell 9010 SFF BIOS update A24 fail - no POST

Hi,

Any advice?

I have a 9010 SFF that was working fine, except that it would not install the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.  Repeatedly, about 30% through the update it failed with a BSOD. I tried several times.

Somewhere I read that the BIOS might need updating so I headed over to DELL support.  I let the website automatically detect my system and it found a recommended BIOS update, version A24.

I initiated the BIOS update from the website and it seemed to run successfully but when the PC rebooted it hung half way through POST.

On a second attempt to start the machine - nothing - no display, no light, just will not start.

I tried clearing the NVRAM as indicated on the DELL website here: www.dell.com/.../SLN284985

I tried both the RTCRST jumper method and the battery removal method.

The result - it now continuously reboots but still no POST, no display, nothing.

I should add that during the original BIOS update, the PC had a Quadro 600 graphics card and a LSI 9200-8e SAS adapter card inside. They had both been working faultlessly and were removed when I tried to reset the BIOS NVRAM.

Any suggests on what next to recover my "bricked" desktop?

Andy

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 19th, 2016 07:00

The CMOS could be corrupted meaning replacing the motherboard. During this no POST, what are the states of the power button LED?

2 Posts

October 19th, 2016 07:00

Initially, nothing happened at all when I pressed the power button.

But since I reset the NVRAM, the orange power light comes on briefly, then it goes off and the machine is quiet and nothing more happens.

If I leave the power connected, after a little while, the machine tries to start again and the same thing happens - whirr of fan, DVD light flashes, power light flashes orange, then lights and fan go off - nothing.

I'm guessing that you're right and only a new motherboard is going to fix it.

No Events found!