Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2012 14:00

Dell DIMM 8400 heatsink not seating

My troubles began when cpu would only boot to a blinking cursor.  The diag lights AB - Green CD -Amber  Which told me a pci card needed to be reseated,  I took the tower off the desk and layed it down on it's side.  I opened the case & took out the parralel port and rebooted the cpu and it worked great.  I decided to reseat ALL the cards and then rebooted again - all good.  I closed the case and set it upright on the desk and it would only boot to a cursor.

I took it back down and layed it on it's side and tried all the cards (except video) out - blinking cursor. Then I put them all back in - blinking cursor. took one out at a time - blinking cursor.

The next day I started the pc and the fan roared like a jet.  No diag lights no blinking cursor.  I was advised that I should make sure the clips were not broken that hold in the heatsink and the plastic rails were not melted.  I took the heatsink out, and everything looked in order.  I replaced the heat grease - put too much on so had to take heatsink back off and clean the grease up and put a lighter coat on.

IF I PUT MY THUMB ON TOP OF THE HEATSINK AND FIRMLY PUSH DOWN THE SYSTEM BOOTS NORMALLY AND WILL EVEN OPERATE PROGRAMS.  But the min I take my thumb away the screen freezes.  I say an article where someone else had the same issue and they used rubber bands to hold the heatsink down.

I would rather fix it the right way, BUT have no clue as to how to fix.  (I also unhooked the cpucover and lifted it up and down --- NEVER lifting the cpu.  And yes I did re-hook the cpu cover so it is tight.

Help

August 21st, 2012 15:00

Hi ronabramson,

As the system works fine when the heatsink is held down, it is definitely an issue with the hardware (Heatsink or the motherboard).

Dimension 8400 is an old system and seems to be out of warranty, hence, I would suggest that you contact a local technician for getting the system checked and fixed. A technician would be able to suggest the best possible resolution.

Do write back for further queries.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 21st, 2012 19:00

I addressed these issues for you in your previous thread. Even told you where you could order a heatsink retention base for the motherboard...

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 31st, 2013 03:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                  

No Events found!