Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 25th, 2008 11:00

Dell DImension 8300 HD Issues

I recently bought a refurb'd 8300 off my company for my in-laws. The drive is OS-less and I was hoping to plug in their old HD as the master to at least get things going (repair the windows xp install, update the drivers, etc.) The drive is a seagate 30 gig drive (can't remember the model number, same family as the 80gig drive that was in there).

Both drives are being recognized by the bios, but I can't even begin to boot into the old drive. I get a message along the lines of "f1 to retry, f2 to enter setup". I might suspect this if the drive were completely wiped,  but not when the master has their current xp install.

Am I missing a step along the way, or am I generally misguided with what I'm trying to do?

31 Posts

Dose the system boot without the new hdd?

3.4K Posts

Am I missing a step along the way, or am I generally misguided with what I'm trying to do?

Hello,

Both

You would need to make sure that the drive with the OS is set as 'master' if IDE, or set on channel 0 if SATA. But, you will never have a good install using a disk install on another system unless the other system has exactly the same hardware.

When you decide to do a clean install of Windows, you will need to follow the Dell required order of install ....

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed, or older systems that don't offer DSS or NSS files. But if your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

5 Posts

I've tried it both ways, using f12 at boot to attempt to boot off the secondary when set as slave (ide drives).

I know the install itself won't be all too great, but that's not the point. It's about getting the data off and safe relatively quickly (I leave on Sunday).

Just seems odd to me that it'd act as if the disk were without a mbr

799 Posts

I've tried it both ways, using f12 at boot to attempt to boot off the secondary when set as slave (ide drives). I know the install itself won't be all too great, but that's not the point. It's about getting the data off and safe relatively quickly (I leave on Sunday).Just seems odd to me that it'd act as if the disk were without a mbr.

You are correct about the MBR. The best way to achieve what you are attemping to do, is to install the hard drive that you know has no OS as the Master and the hard drive with the data you need to recover as the slave.

Boot with an OS disk in the optical drive and install an OS on the Primary Master hard drive. Install the chipset drivers and other drivers for the system.

Once this is done, the other drive should be available to copy any files to the primary Master hard drive.

If you try any other method, you may be able to get into the other drive but the system will never be stable.

just some thoughts.

31 Posts

Which one have you connected as the primary drive inside the tower?

799 Posts

December 26th, 2008 13:00

That's exactly what I've done. It's showing the same behavior with both harddrives, regardless of cable select, master or slave -- with any possible combination of the drives (on the primary controller, haven't tested the secondary). BIOS is recognizing the drives just fine. Booting from the optical drive, I can format and interact via command line with the drives. Windows installation copies over the files, etc. I'm currently running chkdsk /r on the drive (not the old one, the 'new' blank drive. old one is out sitting next to me). If this doesn't identify anything/fix anything, I'll likely try to run a drive off the secondary controller with the optical drive set as slave. Sub par and not sure how it'll work out.. but.. desperate times ;)

Hello alexucf, If the BIOS is seeing the drives and you mention that Windows copies files to the drive, it appears that you may need the controller drivers to be installed in the early part of the install process. The F6 option. The Dell disk may not have them for this system.

If the BIOS is seeing the drive, the controller should be working, but not have the drivers for the Windows installation.

Just another thought.

5 Posts

[quote user="alexucf"] I'm now attempting (and re-attempting) to install windows XP from the dell recovery cd. Both harddrives fail to boot and end up with the f1 to reboot, f2 for setup.

Hello alexucf, I would try this. Remove both hard drives from the system. On the hard drive that has no OS installed (the one that came with the system), set the jumper to Cable select (CS).

Boot the system and enter the BIOS, see if the drive is recogonized.

Then go to the boot sequence section and set the onboard optical drive as the first boot device and the onboard hard drive as the second boot device.

Save your settings, and with the Dell OS disk in the optical drive, reboot the system.

This should allow you to install the OS if everything is set and working properly.

If you get ths OS installed, you can then add the other hard drive and make sure the jumper is set to Cable Select (CS) as the first drive.

Then reboot the system and if everything is set and working properly, you should be able to boot into windows and see both drives.

Hope this helps.

[/quote]

That's exactly what I've done. It's showing the same behavior with both harddrives, regardless of cable select, master or slave -- with any possible combination of the drives (on the primary controller, haven't tested the secondary). BIOS is recognizing the drives just fine. Booting from the optical drive, I can format and interact via command line with the drives. Windows installation copies over the files, etc.

Just won't boot from the drives.

I'm currently running chkdsk /r on the drive (not the old one, the 'new' blank drive. old one is out sitting next to me). If this doesn't identify anything/fix anything, I'll likely try to run a drive off the secondary controller with the optical drive set as slave. Sub par and not sure how it'll work out.. but.. desperate times ;)

799 Posts

I'm now attempting (and re-attempting) to install windows XP from the dell recovery cd. Both harddrives fail to boot and end up with the f1 to reboot, f2 for setup.

Hello alexucf, I would try this. Remove both hard drives from the system. On the hard drive that has no OS installed (the one that came with the system), set the jumper to Cable select (CS).

Boot the system and enter the BIOS, see if the drive is recogonized.

Then go to the boot sequence section and set the onboard optical drive as the first boot device and the onboard hard drive as the second boot device.

Save your settings, and with the Dell OS disk in the optical drive, reboot the system.

This should allow you to install the OS if everything is set and working properly.

If you get ths OS installed, you can then add the other hard drive and make sure the jumper is set to Cable Select (CS) as the first drive.

Then reboot the system and if everything is set and working properly, you should be able to boot into windows and see both drives.

Hope this helps.

5 Posts

Still nothing.

I'm now attempting (and re-attempting) to install windows XP from the dell recovery cd. Both harddrives fail to boot and end up with the f1 to reboot, f2 for setup.

The cd boots fine.

Could this be a controller issue on the primary? Seems odd, as both drives are being recognized. Heck, the windows cd is even able to format and copy files to the drive. It just won't boot.

So, so strange. And I leave sunday. Need to get this worked out ASAP. :(

5 Posts

December 26th, 2008 14:00

"Doh".

Not sure why I didn't try right away, but... If anyone finds this thread in the future researching a similar situation, try turning off UDMA in bios.

I replaced the battery, reset the cmos jumper, then reconfigured drives while turning off udma.

Turning udma back on recreates the "problem."

799 Posts

December 26th, 2008 14:00

"Doh" Not sure why I didn't try right away, but... If anyone finds this thread in the future researching a similar situation, try turning off UDMA in bios. I replaced the battery, reset the cmos jumper, then reconfigured drives while turning off udma. Turning udma back on recreates the "problem."

Hello alexucf, If the drives are not ATA100, that would do it. They are probably ATA66. Have you been able to install Windows yet?

If that was the issue, don't beat yourself up too much, because many, including me, have run into this at some point.

I just don't deal with any of the ATA66 drives any longer. I rarely see IDE drives any more.

I did find a Dell link Here  for the chipset drivers for your Dimension 8300 if you may need them later.

Let us know if you got it all sorted out, as you mentioned, it may help others in the future.

Good Luck.

No Events found!