Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2011 02:00

Dell Desktop-replacement for Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 graphics card

Good day. I'm hoping an expert can help me.

My computer: Dell Studio XPS 8100 desktop, intel Core i7 870 2.93GHz, 8Mb etc
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 single 1GB memory. From reading, not sold by retail and now no longer available.
Power Unit: 350 watts maximum.

I do not use the computer to play games.

For various reasons, can you please DETAIL for me a replacement graphics card of about the same 'power' +. One that  I can slot in myself, load driver and be up and running. Not into changing other bits and pieces (I hope) and there appear to be soo many graphics cards available.

I would hope to purchase the graphics card over the Internet, UK supplier and thence abroad to me.

In anticipation, thank you for your help.

Leonard

1 Message

October 25th, 2012 15:00

Hi Skanter- just seen this message- hope it comes in time

I had this problem with mine- it was also reaching 90degC. It is caused by a really poorly designed cooling system- the heatsink fins are enclosed behind a metal sheild and the fan blows into it.

What you need to do is:-

1) Shut down and disconnect everything from the PC

2) Open side panel and disconnect audio and power cables from GPU

3) Remove the card from mobo

4) Using a very small posidrive screwdriver, unscrew the thin metal cover from the heatsink

5) Use a fine brush to remove all that dust you will no doubt see! DO NOT BLOW IT OUT- EVEN WITH YOUR BREATH!!!

6) Reassemble and hopefully enjoy the silence!

If you still get noise the chances are some dust has got into the fan (this happened to me when I used some compressed air to blow out the heatsink). Replacement fans are as rare as rocking horse poo- I couldn't even get one from the original manufacturer (way down the chain- dont expect any help from Dell or nVidia here I'm afraid) but luckily are easy to fix.

GTS 240 fan fix:-

I'm doing this from memory- sorry if I get anything a bit wrong!

1) Strip out card as above. Once heatsink cover is off fan will be exposed.

2) very gently, using a pair of small screwdrivers hooked under the fan rotor, gently lift the rotor clear of the housing. It wont want to go at first but be patient and try and apply consistent pressure either side.

3) Once out of the bearing clean out any muck- it only takes a small amount here to cause the noise.

4) Apply- with an earbud-a tiny (and I mean tiny) bit of WD40 (not sure what this is called in the US- but it is a wonder spray!) to the bearing

5) wipe off- you will only need the barest residue left on the shaft

6) Reassemble and get going!

If you are worried about prising off the rotor (or indeed I have got it wrong) you can undo the whole heatsink from the PCB by undoing the screws with springs on them- this will allow access to the little screws holding the fan on. You can then undo these abd slide the cable out meaning you can clean the underside- but the rotor will still need to be taken off to lube the bearings.

good luck

Nick

10 Posts

October 1st, 2011 04:00

Osprey, thank you for your reply.

My GTS 240 is causing identified problems and needs to be changed. Bearing in mind the PSU wattage limits, I need to find a replacement. Perhaps the Radeon HD 5770 or HD 6670 or someone suggested the GTS 450. I just need that expert 'hint' and detail and I will be off to purchase.

Thank you again.

Leonard

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 1st, 2011 04:00

Hi Leonard,

The XPS 8100 has a 350W power supply, so that limits your choices. Honestly, the GTS 240 is quite a good card for that PSU. You might just want to get a used one. Dell did sell a GTS 460 but customized for this system.

10 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 02:00

After quite a lot of research, the (EVGA) GeForce GT 440 810MHz 1GB PCI-Express HDMI Mfr#:    01G-P3-1441-KR        -------    appears to fit the bill in my case.

(For general information)

Leonard

10 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 02:00

After quite a lot of research, the (EVGA) GeForce GT 440 810MHz 1GB PCI-Express HDMI

Mfr#:    01G-P3-1441-KR        -------    appears to fit the bill in my case.

(For general information)

Leonard

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 05:00

Hi Leonard,

Let me know how things go with that new card.

10 Posts

January 13th, 2012 02:00

I have very same computer like leonard

Dell Studio XPS 8100 desktop, intel Core i7 870 2.93GHz, 8Mb etc   Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE:Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Today I checked dell (this website) and found one urgent upgrade

AMD Radeon HD 5770
Release Date: 5/2/2010
Version: A02S3C01005.101
Importance: Urgent
Download Type: BIOS
File Format: Hard-Drive
File Size:

561KB

After I installed it my screen resolution went so big i couldnt see my desktop icons and aftr that screen went black, I was waiting for about 15 minutes thinking it will restart or something like that but nothing, i turned it off and on again nothing happened, tried two different monitors, nothing, screen black, no sound no nothing, tried vga under plastic (back of the com) same thing no sound, no video.  Just wondering what I have downloaded on dell webside when it crashed my computer

Please help

10 Posts

January 13th, 2012 04:00

Good day Osprey4 and Roky67

As I have 'sort of said', my tech. knowledge is limited.

Right, I eventually tracked down a GeForce 440 (see above etc) and fitted same at the beginning of the month. It was a replacement for the Dell factory item, the GTS 240 (see above etc) I tried everything that I knew or discovered to stop the computer from freezing but to no avail and thought that by fitting a new card (after new memory) the problem would be solved. One of my problems I thought to be the running temperature of the graphics card - 70C (My new one runs at 30 to 35C. I happen to live in a hot climate with fine dust.

The fitting was easy, no extra wires to be connected. The power and one other that I found connected to the old graphics card are no longer used. GeForce 440 - slot in and done PLUS updated driver from NVidia. It needed to be simple for me.

Fingers crossed and so far, smooth as silk, quiet and an improved picture it would appear.

I have not or had to download anything from Dell during this frustrating exercise.

The most difficult thing I found was identifying the correct/best/most suitable graphice card for my computer, my use. Your choice is limited.

I strongly suggest you consider fitting a new graphics card. A GeForce 440 will fit the bill.

Well, that is my story so far. No doubt you will try a restore etc.

Best wishes for now,

Leonard 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 13th, 2012 15:00

Hi Roky,

Would you please start a new message?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 13th, 2012 15:00

Hi Leonard,

Excellent news. Thanks for following up.

10 Posts

January 13th, 2012 23:00

Yes, I do need help

Dell Studio XPS 8100 desktop, intel Core i7 870 2.93GHz, 8Mb etc   Service Tag:

Today I checked dell (this website) and found one urgent upgrade

AMD Radeon HD 5770

File Size: 561KB

After I installed it my screen resolution went so big i couldnt see my desktop icons and aftr that screen went black, I was waiting for about 15 minutes thinking it will restart or something like that but nothing, i turned it off and on again nothing happened, tried two different monitors, nothing, screen black, no sound no nothing, tried vga under plastic (back of the com) same thing no sound, no video.  Just wondering what I have downloaded on dell webside when it crashed my computer

Computer was working perfect before this update, I found this dell webside and I checked is there any new updates for my machine, I downloaded one file that they asked in order to scanes my machine and see is there new updates that file was downloaded fine and it scaned my machine and it found I have new updates one is urgent and 4 or 5 was recommended, I downloaded first one that is urgent and I installed it, followed all direction and when installation was complete but got no message that is complete my screen resolution bigger i did not see half of my desktop icons that lasted for about 10 seconds and after that screeen became black.  I was thinking machine is restarting itsself, I was waiting perhaps 15 minutes or more but nothing was happening, I turn off machine and turn on again and again nothing was happening, try two diferent monitors from my neighbors its same, no video display at all, no sound.

Again, according to sound from machine when it starts, starts normaly for the first 30 seconds then became quiet, power light is on all the time no blinking and front small light is blinking when maqchine starts when machine became quiet front lights is off, no blinking no nothing.

Thanks for helping me,I needed it,  I know nothing about computers

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 14th, 2012 03:00

Is your computer still under warranty? Because I think you might need a new video card.

10 Posts

January 14th, 2012 04:00

No, I do not have waranty

Today I opened the computer and there is yellow light on the main board, all cooling fans are running also fan on the graphic card is running but windows just wont start, the screen is completely black same as when its turned off.

I tried also yahoo answers forum and I got some messages that may be a main board problem because the reason how I got in this mess is I installed the update below and as soon as installation completed my screen resolution changes and after 10 seconds or so screen became black.

What ever is but this file below crashed my computer for sure

File Size: 561KB

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 14th, 2012 17:00

That file is a BIOS update for your video card.

5 Posts

October 16th, 2012 15:00

Hi Leonard, I have a Dell Studio 8000 with a GTS 240. The fan has gotten so loud I need to shut down when not using it - very loud.

Is the GeForce 440 quiet? I thought of replacing fan, but not simple. If the 440 is an upgrade, might be better off with it.

Let me know, thanks in advance...

Sam, NYC

No Events found!