Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2009 19:00

Dell Dimension 1100 - System restore How?

Hi, I have checked the support pages (although none too helpfull) as I am trying to assist a colleague in restoring his demension to factory defaults. The support pages read press Ctrl + F11 at boot to engage system restore. This does nothing. Am I doing something wrong. Or in fact does this system even have a restore ? After entering the service tag it is suggested that it does? Any assistance appreciated

Thanks
Philip

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 5th, 2009 22:00

solutions4  

Dell's PC Restore by Symantec utility was install in either Dimension or Inspiron systems, with factory installed XP, that were shipped after 7.16.04.

For models shipped prior to that date, you need to carry out clean reinstall of XP.

A member has a procedure for repairing the DSR feature, you can find it HERE

If the DSR can not be repaired, then the closest to factory condition you can revert the PC too, is a clean reinstall of XP.

How to carry out a clean reinstall of XP.

Disconnect all the peripherals from the system except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

This XP reinstallation GUIDE is excellent, or you can use Dell's XP Restallation Guide HERE.

While installing, remember to delete all existing partitions when you are prompted, then recreate the partitions and format the hard drive, following by installing XP.

After installing XP, you need to install the drivers and applications in the correct order, see HERE.

Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, updating the definitions, then all the critical Microsoft updates.

Bev.

No Events found!