Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

March 30th, 2010 06:00

Dell Dimension 2350 Video Driver for windows 7

Hi, i previously bought a dvd disk drive and installed windows 7, everything is running smooth -expect 1 problem..

My video driver or my computer's resolution won't go above 640x480 (16-bit), I tried using my Dell Resource CD to get 32-bit Either 800x600 or the 1024x780 (i believe) resolution. Now i know that windows xp isn't compatible with windows 7 but i gave it a try anyway lol. i got it to successfully install (or so i thought) and everytime i reboot my computer it installs the same drivers over and over and over :(.

Also I've tried re-installing windows XP, but after windows XP installs and reboots i get the Error booting OS... So I'm stuck with Windows 7 with 16-bit 640x480 resolution.

Basically what I'm getting at is, is there a Driver for my dell that will work with windows 7 ?

Oh, and also everything on my Dell 2350 is still factory (after all these years lol) expect my RAM cards (2x 512MBs) and my dvd disk drive.

any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Franklin

95 Posts

March 30th, 2010 06:00

If you would like to have Windows 7 what you can do is to buy a PCI Video Card compatible with Windows 7 Like this one.

If you would like to install windows XP back to your computer during installation make sure you delete all partitions.

March 30th, 2010 07:00

after i start my computer (if its completely off) i boot the xp installation before windows actually loads and delete and re format the partition and i get the same error. I've also considered buying a video card but i can't financially afford one yet. I put some heavy hours in searching and i saw that a guy got his old pc (around the same year like my model) got his video card to be supported by running under admin and setting the compatibility of the driver set up to windows xp. I forgot to add this little detail in ( probably won't make a difference) . My screen blacks out for a second like the driver installed successfully, but when i go to reboot it blacks out again - going back to the default 16-bit 640x480. Then like i said before it re installs after windows loads up.

I do appreciate your comment and i know i probably wont have much luck on this issue but its worth a try and before i buy a new video card i might as well try saving for a new computer first . :(, Imma keep searching.

March 30th, 2010 11:00

Ok so after a bit more searching, i finally have my Dell Dimension 2350 drivers compatible with windows 7, no thanks to dell wanting 100+ dollars to help me fix this simple issue, my resolution is now 32-bit and im all set - so disregard this thread and i dont have to buy or pay 100+ dollars to fix this issue :)

if you want your drivers compatible i highly recommend trying out "DriverMax", I'm very iffy about using driver install programs, but im very pleased/satisfied and have had no issues whatsoever, ALSO its FREE for 2 driver downloads / updates per day or unlimited (if you pay of course). Of course its up to you to try, but you won't be discouraged, at least i wasn't and my computer is i believe 10/10+ yrs old lol

Anyway I hope this helps anyone in the predicament i was in, without having the extra funds to waste.

EDIT: i forgot to mention another thing about DriverMax, this program only updates/finds drivers that your computer actually has and doesn't clog u up with drivers you don't even have.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 30th, 2010 20:00

I have a 2350 and installed a $50 Sparkle 8400GS video card. It works very well with Windows 7, and enables HD resolutions and even Blu-ray playback.

For security reasons, I wouldn't recommend downloading drivers from untrusted sources like "DriverMax."

1 Message

August 26th, 2010 11:00

Hey, I was just wondering how the drivers were treating you? I'm in the same exact boat. I'm thinking on doing what  you did.

Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 27th, 2010 00:00

I wouldn't trust drivers downloaded from a third party site, as they could be infected with malware.

May 14th, 2014 18:00

Source of this information found HERE.  The 'Big Magic Trick' is that if you go into the Device Manager, there is an option to 'Add Legacy Hardware' underneath the 'Actions' Menu and then manually select 'Display Adapter' and the correct Driver for your particular type of Integrated Graphics Adapter.

1 Message

May 25th, 2014 21:00

I know this is an old thread but since a lot of people will be upgrading old computers to windows 7 and having the same problem, I had to say thanks to hero in training. I installed Win 7 on my old dell dimension 2350 - stock except for max memory - three weeks ago and had been searching for a solution ever since. I've researched every help forum I could find and bought 2 PCI video cards that didn't work. Some of the non-working answers were given by official advisers on the sites. Man it shouldn't have been that hard. And it turns out it isn't. This worked for me. Copy the directions and follow them and you should be able to adjust your screen resolution in five minutes or less. I still can't believe how easy it was. You don't need a new graphics card. This should be at the top of the search results, not hidden away in a Dell forum. Thanks again.

No Events found!