Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2013 19:00

Dell Dimension 3000 blinking amber light Please help asap!!!

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 That has a blinking amber light on the front were normally it would be green.Please help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 26th, 2013 12:00

Ok so you are sure that it is the motherboard that is dead and not the cpu.

Mdlucky8

Regards to the processor I already posted the following:

Note: The processor rarely fails and the only method I know of checking a checking a processor, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

To find out if it's the CPU, you will need to install it in a compatible 'Known' working computer, or replace it with a 'Known' compatible CPU, as it is difficult to distinguish a faulty processor from a faulty motherboard.

While you can make an informed diagnosis, sometimes computer troubleshooting, due to the complexity of components, is diagnostics by substitution.

Bev

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 25th, 2013 19:00

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 That has a blinking amber light on the front were normally it would be green.Please help.

Mdlucky8

A blinking amber power button light, usually indicates a failed/failing power supply.

Does the Dimension 3000 boot without issues?

Check the sequence of the four Diagnostic Lights on the back panel of the case.

The Dimension 3000 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-3000_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

14 Posts

November 25th, 2013 21:00

There is nothing on the screen , no fans spin at all , and the Diagnostic Lights say nothing , and there are no beep codes also i have tested the power supply it does work and it is not the dvd drive or floppy drive or hard drive.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 26th, 2013 06:00

Mdlucky8

Could be a motherboard issue.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU may be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 20-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died and/or maybe the processor.

Note: The processor rarely fails and the only method I know of checking a checking a processor, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

Bev.

14 Posts

November 26th, 2013 08:00

I have tested the PSU in that same way and I do not have a another 20 pin PSU.Also I have tried plugging it in with only the cpu power cable plugged in and the 20 pin connecter and the ram was also in also the cpu fan was in and the cmos battery.Finally there was no hard drive,floppy drive,disc drive,multi ports,pci cards plugged in at all.

18 Posts

November 26th, 2013 09:00

Hello MDLUCKY8,

My name is Saul I am part of the Resolution Expert Center Team here at Dell. If you could send over the service tag I can take a look to see if there is anything we might me able to help out with. Thanks again for choosing Dell.

-Saul

14 Posts

November 26th, 2013 09:00

The service is tag is [Amin Note: Service Tag Edited per TOU policy]

14 Posts

November 26th, 2013 11:00

I did not remove the cmos battery at all and nothing changed.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 26th, 2013 11:00

I have tested the PSU in that same way and I do not have a another 20 pin PSU.Also I have tried plugging it in with only the cpu power cable plugged in and the 20 pin connecter and the ram was also in also the cpu fan was in and the cmos battery.Finally there was no hard drive,floppy drive,disc drive,multi ports,pci cards plugged in at all.

Mdlucky8

With only the P1 [20-pin] and P2 [4-pin] power connectors plugged into the motherboard, was there any difference in the reading of the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button?

Note: The CMOS battery should not be removed from it's socket.

Bev.

14 Posts

Ok so you are sure that it is the motherboard that is dead and not the cpu.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

I did not remove the cmos battery at all and nothing changed.

Mdlucky8

Providing the power supply is good and as there is no difference in the reading of the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, this would indicate a motherboard failure.

Refurbished [AKA used] Dell OEM Dimension 3000 motherboards can be purchased @ $39 plus S&H from here:

Bev.

14 Posts

November 26th, 2013 13:00

Well thank you I think anyway it is bad motherboard so thank you for the site and your help.  :emotion-1::emotion-1::emotion-1:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 26th, 2013 13:00

Mdlucky8

Good luck. :emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!