Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2016 08:00

Dell Dimension 3000 crashes

Okay, I have an old dinosaur of a computer in a Dell Dimension 3000 that I got back in 2005.  Starting several months ago, I would get little blurry regions on my monitor or a barely visible black line.  The blurry areas would kind of shimmer.  If I wiggled my VGA cable a bit, these areas would either move to a new area or disappear altogether.  This went on for some time and I wasn't overly concerned.

About a month ago I was watching a video when all of a sudden my PC crashed and I was staring at a frozen image of garbled colors.  I held in the power button to restart and was fine for two days until when I tried to boot up my PC,  my monitor said that there was no signal coming from the computer before it went into standby mode (the light on the monitor turned yellow).

I tried all sorts of things to get it running again by searching around online.  I removed my RAM sticks to clean them before reinserting them. removed dust, etc.  A few of the capacitors were bent on the motherboard and I seemed to be able to fix things by bending them back in place.  None of them had blown their caps, but some of their silver tops had a blueish tint to them.

I got by the crashes and no signal detected through doing this for a couple weeks.  A couple days would pass without issues but then they would reappear.  It seemed to get a little bit harder over time.  Yesterday was an issue.  All my usual tricks weren't working for a while.  I got it running again but after I had noticed a few things... the green grounded light on my power strip was lit up and I thought to myself... I don't overly recall seeing it on lately.  Also, the fan on my power supply was no longer running.

Where I stand right now is that I'm using a personal desk fan of mine to blow cold air on the power supply and see if that fixes it.  I didn't crash again yesterday after I began using the fan but I did this morning just right as Skype had loaded up.

I should also note that about a month before the crashing started I had removed an excessive amount of dust from the inside of my PC.  I had neglected cleaning it for a while, but what triggered me to do it was by how loud my PC was and I detected a burnt smell.  No parts of the motherboard look blackened or cooked.  Unfortunately I had forgotten to clean out the power supply until yesterday, so I don't even know how long it has been out.

Should I invest in a new PSU or is my PC pretty much too far gone?  I fear I might have done damage by not removing the dust sooner or by my ungrounded power strip... or a combination of the two.  I never got any motherboard beeps, blue screens, or random reboots, however.

Sorry if my post seems like I'm rambling... I'm just really tired and frustrated and want to keep this old fossil going until I have the money to buy a new PC.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 22nd, 2016 09:00

There isn't any way of fixing 20 year old computers with physically failing parts and not spend money.

Any money spent getting these systems working again would be a waste.

10 year old models starting with the Optiplex GX620 are better and faster and still upgradeable.

The cost of systems like the GX620 or better can be had WITH WINDOWS 7 for around $100.

For slightly more you can get a GX760 or better tower with windows 7.  

These machines when they have 3 gigs or more ram can be upgraded all the way to windows 10 with little or no issue.

If you get one before July the upgrade to windows 10 is free.

If you get it without an OS you could install your Dell XP if you have the disc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-GX620-Desktop-3-0GHz-P4-CPU-Windows-7-/121925630141

http://www.pcliquidations.com/p16130-dell-optiplex-780-tower

http://www.walmart.com/ip/20565348

3 Posts

April 24th, 2016 19:00

I'm actually looking into buying a pretty good build on Amazon for a good deal.  Anyway, I've noticed that to get my PC running when there is no signal is to disconnect all or some combination of my peripherals (monitor, keyboard, USB devices) and turn the power on.  I want to think the problem is my power supply.  Either it is malfunctioning on its own from old age or has some kind of short in it from my surge protector not being grounded for a while, hence why the fan no longer spins.

I will typically crash 1-2 times a day.  Once in the morning and then late at night, maybe in the early am hours if I stay up late.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 24th, 2016 21:00

A standard ATX power supply will bolt in. A standard mATX or mini-ITX motherboard will bolt in, too, apart from the front audio connector.

I converted my 3000 to a quad-core AMD with SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0.

No Events found!