Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 26th, 2009 13:00

Dell Dimension 4600

Ok...so I am still looking for a cheap desktop to mod and play around with and see if I can't get a halfway decent gaming computer from.  So my roommate just bought a brand new alienware computer and he has an older Dell Dimension 4600.  I am not sure what the specs are since he is out of town...but I was thinking if it has a decent processor I could install Vista on it and upgrade the RAM and video card.

Is this possible?  How high can I up grade the RAM and Video card.  I am not looking to make a top of the line gaming PC....just something a little bit better than my Laptop.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

brsmih

The 4600 supports AGP x4 and x8 graphics cards and a maximum of 4gb [4 x 1gb modules] of memory.

Check out the AGP graphics card HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> and there are other APG cards HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

The 4600 specifications are HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Personally, I would use XP, as Dell has no drivers, or support available for Vista on the 4600.

For a 'Half Way Decent' gaming system, at the minimum, I would look a PC with a Socket LGA 775 and PCI Express x16 slot for a video card, as Socket 478 processors and AGP cards are obsolete technology and the supply of upgrades are limited.

Bev.

Ps. What happened to the Optiplex GX280, you were looking to buy on eBay?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Deleted due to, "Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!  Please try your request again..." forum error, causing multiple posts.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 26th, 2009 15:00

brsmih

Good luck and hope it works out for you.    :emotion-21:    :emotion-11:

Bev.

34 Posts

The GX280 went for more than I was willing to pay...and then I remember my rommate's computer and thought hey I bet I could get that cheap from him...hook it up to the big screen and drop some new hardware in.

As long as the graphics cards I can get for the 4600 are better than 128mb it should be better than my laptop and that's all I am really looking for.

34 Posts

Thanks.  My biggest worry right now is buying something I can't modd.....

So depending on the processor do you think I could make the 4600 better than my laptop...with at least a 512mb video card?  If I upgrade it to 4 gigs or RAM and it has at least a 2 Ghz processor that would be good enough for me.  Although I would like a 1gb Video Card.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 26th, 2009 16:00

brsmih

Cannot say, if the 4600 would be better than the laptop, as I don't know the model of it, but the 4600 will never be a speedy PC, like the newer Core 2 Duo/ Quad 4 systems.

Regards to installing 4gb of RAM, you would better advised to install 3gb, because when you have a 32-bit system, this does not recognize 4gb of memory, 3gb± is all a 32bit system can address.

Basically what it means is, while you can install 4gb of memory in the system, the reason it’s not recognized is mainly due to 32-bit processors and/or 32-bit applications on memory address limitations. 64-bit processors & operating systems will recognize beyond the 32-bit limitation.

See HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

34 Posts

September 26th, 2009 17:00

Right now I run a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a Mobile AMD Semperon 3500+ 1.8, 32 Bit Operating System... 2 gigs of ram and a ATI Radeon 1150 Express Video Card.

If the 4600 has a 32 bit Operating system and a 2+ Ghz Processor and I add up to 3gigs of RAM and a 512 or a 1G video card....it should be a better gamming PC than my laptop shouldn't it?

Also is there anyway to check the specs on my roommate's computer...he's not here and he won't tell me his password...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 26th, 2009 17:00

brsmih

Depending on the video card and the processor that's installed in the 4600, I don't you will see much improved.

You could try using the service tag on the side of the case and see what you can find on Dell's site, but personally, I would wait until your roommate returns to check the processor, after all, it's the right thing to do.   :emotion-5:

Bev.

34 Posts

September 26th, 2009 18:00

Yea I guess I'll wait....:emotion-13:

So do you think I would be better off trying to get my hands on a Optiplex GX280 and modding that?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 26th, 2009 19:00

brsmih

Yes, especially with the Small Mini Tower and Mini Tower version of the Optiplex GX280, that can use a full size video card, whereas the other three versions require a low profile [half size] video card, due to case limitations.

Bev.

34 Posts

September 26th, 2009 22:00

Can you provide me with a  link to examples of the different versions so I can know what to look for?

Also what about the GX270 or GX260....will they work for what I am looking for?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 26th, 2009 23:00

brsmih

Of all the PC's I listed, that would be my choice.

Bev,

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

brsmih

HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

is the link to the Optiplex GX280.

HERE is the link to the GX260, if you read the specs,. you will see the specs are on a par with the Dimension 4600, with an AGP x4 video card.

HERE is the link to the GX270, again you will see it's has a AGP x4/x8 video card.

Note: The GX270 Series had serious bad capacitor failures.

Bev.

34 Posts

Ahh so...if I do decide to go for a new computer, I should go for the GX280

Thank you very much you have been extremely helpful.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 27th, 2009 00:00

Thanks.  My biggest worry right now is buying something I can't modd.....

So depending on the processor do you think I could make the 4600 better than my laptop...with at least a 512mb video card?  If I upgrade it to 4 gigs or RAM and it has at least a 2 Ghz processor that would be good enough for me.  Although I would like a 1gb Video Card.

There are several models of 4650 available in AGP, but AFAIK you don't need 1gb unless your monitor is extremely high resolution.The 4650 is roughly competitive with the 9600GT, and suitable for moderate gaming. It also has full support high-def video playback and has onboard eight-channel HD audio.

Coupled with a 4650 video card and 2gb RAM, the 4600 should handily outgame your laptop. Regarding Vista, you can download the chipset drivers from Intel but I am not sure whether onboard sound drivers are available.

No Events found!