Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2011 08:00

Dell - Dimension 5100 - No Power; to solid Amber Light; and back.

Hello everyone, I've run into a crippling problem with my Desktop PC, a Dell Dimension 5100.

First let me tell you that I am only moderately computer savvy, and that's generous. I know basically what parts are what, where they go, and what different parts will work with each other etc.

Ok, so I was playing a computer game the other day and the computer suddenly froze. I had mouse control initially, but sound was skipping and the image on the screen was frozen. I tried alt-tabbing and just terminating the game, but that in turn made me lose mouse control so I figured I would just shut it off and reboot. I held the power button down for what seemed to be 5 mins and it wouldn't shut off, so I unplugged the power cord from the back, and my troubles began.

I initially thought it was the power supply that had fried, so I opened it up, took the PSU out, and tried the paperclip test, and it passed (is this as verifiable as I think it is? I put a paper clip in the green wire pin, and a black wire pin and it the PSU fan started blowing for as long is I had it powered.) So I am not sure that the PSU is actually the problem, the scanning the internet for comparable problems seems to indicate that it very much could be. Also, I always make sure to discharge static before I touch the inside of any computer. So I put that back in and retried, still no power, no indicator lights on power button, nothing except for the solid green light on the motherboard. I tried taking out the CMOS battery for a bit, after holding down the power button for a bit also. And nothing seemed to happen. I read that the front I/O panel might be malfunctioning somehow, or 'shorted,' but I dont really now how to check for that. I made sure it is isolated from everything else, not rubbing any metal etc., would that prevent it from doing so? I have a spare, inoperable, Dell XPS, so I tried removing the I/O panel from that to replace it, but low-and-behold they are different sizes. I checked all connections, cleaned out all the dust, removed all RAM except for slot 1, and still nothing. I read in a forum somewhere that someone that had the same problem left his or her computer connected to power and sitting, and that over time it booted up no problem. So I did just that, and noticed a few hours later that fans were running and the power button was illuminated solid Amber, which it still is. So I read up on that situation, and someone somewhere mentioned that a CMOS reset might fix it from there, so I unplugged everything and tried the battery reset again, and was not surprised to find out that after reconnecting power and video cables, it was completely dead again, no indicators except MOBO green, and no beeps when starting up, and no video whatsoever. So I replugged in all cables and let it sit, and a couple hours later noticed it was running fans again, with solid amber indicator. Sorry for being so painfully detailed, but I wasn't sure if the steps I took would be helpful in diagnosis.

At this point I am now led to believe it is either a bad motherboard (does a solid green light debunk that?) or the front I/O panel. It is currently in Fans on mode, with solid amber indicator.

Thank you guys so very much for any help, it is genuinely appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 13th, 2011 12:00

Paperclip is not a Test. Its a FORCE the power supply on with NO LOAD.

The power light illuminates and blinks or remains solid to indicate
different states:
No light — The Computer  is turned off (S4, S5, or mechanical OFF)
Steady green — The computer is in a normal operating state
Blinking green — The computer is in a power saving state (S1 or S3)
Blinking or solid amber — See "Power Problems"
If the power light is steady amber — The computer is receiving
electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.
Ensure that the CPU power cable is securely connected to the
system board.

June 13th, 2011 17:00

I have ensured that CPU power cable (24 pin, largest cable coming from PSU, yes?) is connected to the system board (a.k.a motherboard, yes?) But still the same situation. Any other ideas?  Thank you for the reply by the way!

3 Posts

July 3rd, 2011 11:00

I'm having a similar problem.  I ran through all of the above attempts to solve it except the paper clip. I think mine may have occurred from shutting down while running 2 external hdd's and a hung up program writing to a dvd drive. I have the solid amber and fans running and the harddrives spin for a bit initially too. I think the same solution may solve both users' problems. Any help would be appreciated.

3 Posts

July 20th, 2011 09:00

Got it checked out. Blown Mother Board was the diagnosis. With the age of the PC, better to scrap it and start over. The hard drives are still intact so I have all my info.

3 Posts

July 20th, 2011 10:00

I had the solid amber light. I think mine was brought on by having a hung up DVD burning program and 2 HDD running at the same time while shutting down. I tried all the different things listed to no avail, and finally got an expert analysis. One look inside and he saw the capacitors that were bulging on the top and said it was a blown Mother Board. With the age of the computer I was advised to save all the ram and DVD drives, hard drives, etc. and get a new PC.

So if you look at your Mother Board and any of the capacitors with the little "X"'s look bulged out, that is definitely the problem.

No Events found!