Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

June 21st, 2011 11:00

Dell Dimension 5150 PSU Upgrade

Hello,

I am thinking about replacing the Graphics Card in my Dell Dimension 5150 and I would like to know if it is possible for me to install a 750W Power supply in my case, so that it is possible for me to have some kind of decent Graphics Card, I am thinking of getting a card with VGA, HDMI and DVI outputs and I saw that the requirements of a power supply are at least 300W, if the system cannot have a 750W PSU then would a 400W be possible?

The Graphics Card I am thinking of getting is this one: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/18502152/-/Product.html?opFR=true

Also the PSU I am thinking of getting (750W) is this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/750W-750-WATT-QUIET-POWER-SUPPLY-UNIT-PSU-SATA-ATX-PC-/260452497974?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item3ca42dba36#ht_3136wt_1002

or the 400W that also catches my eye is this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ULTRA-QUIET-ATX-400W-POWER-SUPPLY-IDE-SATA-NEW-/220771049313?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item3366fadf61#ht_3032wt_1139

Cheers!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 21st, 2011 13:00

The 8400GS video card is an old card.  If you want decent graphics you need to consider a current model video card, that will fit in the 5150.  I have a Dimension E510 which is identical to the Dimension 5150 (The E510 was only sold in the US)..  There can be an issue with some larger video cards as they require two slot positions and some can have a length longer than what the PC can accomodate. 

You will also need a Video card that has it's own built on the board audio for the HDMI.  Some cards require an S/PDIF connection to the PC's motherboard for the audio and the 5150/E510 does not have this. 

In reference to the power supply, any standard ATX type power supply will fit and work.  I suggest "modular" type power supplies as the eliminate a lot of the unused power leads and having to stuff them inside the case (and could affect air flow).   Avoid the low price power supplies as they tend to be overrated (in watts) and also have poor DC voltage regulation.  You will pay more for a "name" brand power supply but, like many components you get what you pay for.

The 400 watt that you reference does not have a PCIe power connector, and if you get a Video card which what you want, you will need the PCIe power connector.   I can't comment on the 750 watt model as it is a "no name".

I have an ATI Radeon HD4850 video card in my main PC.  It is not a "new" card but does very well and has everything you would need for HDMI, including the audio built into the card.   It requires a 500 watt (minimum) power supply.

62 Posts

June 21st, 2011 15:00

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I think from what you have said I have changed my options, I think this will suit me better, what do you think?

The Graphics Card I have now chosen is here: cgi.ebay.co.uk/.../eBayISAPI.dll

and the PSU is here: www.pcworld.co.uk/.../highpower-450w-atx-power-supply-unit-07843298-pdt.html

Cheers!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 21st, 2011 16:00

The ebay listing doesn't note exactly who made the card and if it has on-board audio.  If you can confirm that, it should work fine.  

The power supply you linked will work, I like the OCZ that they also have a little better.  But I would like a "modular" type power supply even better.

62 Posts

June 22nd, 2011 07:00

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I have a modular type power supply on ebay. I will probably use that one, I have just seen (not listed above).

I have one last question: I am thinking of replacing the current Pentium D processor in this machine with a Core 2 Duo, is it worth it as I have heard the Core 2 Duo is a more economic version of the Pentium D, is this true? or do you recommend a better processor, if so which one?

Cheers!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2011 07:00

The Core Duo won't work in this model.  You can go up to a D945 as the highest Dxxx processor.  Depending on which motherboard you have (there were several different part number motherboards used throughout the production run of the 5150E510's) if you upgrade the CPU to a compatible version it will work but you will always get an "Incompatible CPU" error at POST and have to press F1 to continue with the boot up.  The only part number motherboard that does not have this problem is the 0H054 board (last one used).  

A comment on upgrading CPU's.  My E510 came with the basic D805 CPU and I upgraded it to a D925.  I see no difference in operation with the upgraded CPU.  It was a waste of money.    The video card is the best upgrade you can do for games, video, etc.  The other thing is memory.  The max for this model is 4GB.

37 Posts

March 19th, 2017 14:00

Fireberd pretty much nailed this one. However, just for the sake of providing some additional helpful information I'd like to add what I've done with my E510 that's worked out very well.

I installed the nVidia GeForce GT 730 video card. I also swapped out the PSU with a Corsair CX430M PSU, which is a "modular" PSU. I was able to save some space and keep the inside of my E510 nice and neat since there were a couple of cables that I didn't need. And, the Corsair came with some cable ties, which I used to neatly bundle and tie the cables that I did use.

The nVidia performs very well. The Windows Experience Index subscores for Aero and Business / Gaming graphics both rose to an impressive 7.0.

Regarding the CPU; The E510 will only accept up to a D 945. And, the motherboard does make a difference. I upgraded from the D 940 to the D 945. There was no difference. The WEI subscore for the CPU only rose by 0.1 points. I, at least, have the right motherboard so I don't have to press any function keys when I boot my E510.

The only benefit the D 945 has over the D 940 is its lower TDP, 95 W instead of 130 W. However, since my E510 originally came with the D 940 it also has the copper performance heatsink so that it was able to handle the extra heat generated by the D 940.

Finally, maxing out the memory to 4 GB is best. I replaced 2x1GB with 2x2GB so I'm at 4 GB, but note that the amount of "usable" memory for me in my E510 is only 3.5 GB.

No Events found!