Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2010 05:00

Dell Dimension 8200 - Refitting the processor & heat sink

I have a standard Dell Dimension 8200 and I'm in the process of replacing the motherboard following a fault.  I want to transfer the processor and heat sink from the old motherboard to the new one and have encountered a procedural problem, so I'd appreciate some guidance ....

After removing the heat sink retaining clips on the old motherboard, the heat sink lifted away with relative ease.  However, it also lifted out the processor, stuck to the bottom of the heat sink.  The locking lever on the processor socket was still in the locked position, but as far as I can see, the processor came away cleanly and undamaged.

I now need to re-install it into the new motherboard.  However, as the processor is  stuck on the bottom of the heat sink, I cannot position it correctly with the locking lever in the locked position. If I raise the lever to unlocked, this would prevent the heat sink/processor combination fitting downwards.  Also, with it stuck on the bottom I cannot align the pins accurately in the socket and fear damaging them.

What is the correct approach ?  Should I remove the processor from the bottom of the heat sink so that I can then refit the processor separately from the heat sink, or is it possible to refit it as a combined unit ?  If I need to separate them, how do I do this when it appears to be stuck rock solid.  If I use some type of leverage to remove it, what type of tool should I use to avoid any damage to the processor ?  If I am supposed to refit it as a combined unit, how do I do this ?

thanks, Keith

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 24th, 2010 06:00

Try heating it up "carefully and slightly" with a hair dryer or something similar and then take a putty knife and try to pry it off.  That is a procedure I've seen to get CPU's from the heatsink.  Another procedure, which is too late for you, is to have the PC on for a couple of hours to get everything heated up and then power it off and carefully rock the heatsink to try and separate it from the top of the CPU. 

I used to have a Gateway that was the same vintage as your 8200 and what I had to do when the CPU heatsink/fan assembly was replaced (under warranty).

After you get it separated, clean off the old heatsink compound from both the top of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink.  Use new heatsink compound to reassemble - apply the heatsink compound according to the compound manufacturers instructions. 

4 Posts

August 24th, 2010 07:00

Hi Firebird

Many thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try this and let you know how I get on.

best regards, Keith

4 Posts

August 24th, 2010 08:00

Hi again Firebird

Your suggestion worked perfectly.  It was obviously the cold state of the heat sink that made it stick so tightly.  As soon as I used a hairdryer to heat it up, I was able to get a knife behind it and separate the processor from the heatsink.  It's now sitting neatly in the new motherboard.  Following your instructions, the whole process took no more than 5 minutes.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Keith

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 24th, 2010 11:00

Keith,

Thanks for the feedback and that you were able to get it resolved.  Good luck with the new Motherboard.

Jack

No Events found!