Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2014 14:00

Dell Dimension 9100 acting strange and Windows XP HE STILL won't load

Every now and then when I boot my PC up, there is a black screen, lights 3 and 4 are on and the computer is making a beeping noise. Sometimes the computer boots fine and works like nothing has happened to it.

Removed the hard drives and put them back in again and I removed one RAM from the module, still doesn't resolve the issue.

Windows XP Home Edition still won't load, still no solution...

Error code 0x0000007b check Hard Drive controllers, Run chkdsk and check for boot sector viruses.

Current OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2014 15:00

Hi Zaydnavaz,

Your hard drive is failing. Replace it.

32 Posts

August 3rd, 2014 15:00

Hello Osprey4, Thanks for your reply. I too am pretty certain about all these symptoms leading to a hard drive faliure. What I don't understand is that the computer is working fine! (When it wants to work) If you know, can you tell me a good hard drive which is at least 120gb for my computer? Budget around 100$. Thanks again, zaydnavaz.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

August 3rd, 2014 17:00

If I may...

3,4 is a RAM error and a BSOD with STOP 7b is a SATA Operation error so it sounds like you have more than just a HDD issue.

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery? If the battery is more than ~2-3 years old, I'd replace it and run the system for a while before changing hard drives. It's a 3-volt CR2032  lithium ion battery, ~$2 at discount stores. And back up personal files on external media ASAP, too.

After you replace the battery, reboot, press F2 and go into BIOS setup. Look for the SATA Operation setting and make sure it's set to RAID AutoDetect/AHCI, since I'm assuming SATA drivers were installed the last time Windows XP was installed on this system. (Is this still the factory Windows install?). Be sure to save the change before exiting setup.

If that doesn't solve the problem...

EDIT: WAIT, I'm confused!  :emotion-7:

Your thread title says "...Windows XP HE", but in your first post you said "Current OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit".  So which is it?

Either way, SATA Operation should be set to RAID AutoDetect/AHCI, assuming SATA drivers were installed.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2014 17:00

Yes, of course it will work perfectly, at least until it quits. :emotion-2:

Any desktop SATA hard drive will work but all drives currently selling will be in the 500GB to 2TB range. I'd recommend an SATA 2 (3.0 Gb/s) since they are more likely to be compatible with your older desktop. This Seagate should work fine. This retail kit should include cloning software.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

August 3rd, 2014 18:00

Me again...

Are you trying to re-install XP HE after installing Win 7??

In this case, SATA Operation needs to be set to RAID AutoDetect/ATA in BIOS first and you have to install the SATA drivers from a floppy diskette, when prompted early in the XP installation process to press F6 to install drivers.

And when XP attempts to reboot the very first time after the installation, you have to intercept it by pressing F2, to go into BIOS setup and change SATA Operation to RAID/AHCI, assuming you've installed SATA drivers from the floppy.

32 Posts

August 4th, 2014 00:00

Hello Rohe, Sorry for any confusion. If I may clarify, The computer originally had Windows XP Home Edition on it. I had to load Windows 7 Home Premium on to bypass the 0x0000007b error code. The reason why I want XP back is because I don't have a Windows 7 Home Premium product key. Why should I buy new Windows when I already have a Valid product key for XP? Ok, you are saying that this is also a RAM issue. Gosh! If I replace all these parts I will have spent more than what the computer is actually worth! You're also saying that replacing the BIOS battery will also solve the issue? I have no clue how old the computer is. I bought it from a friend of mine for around 33$. By guessing, I think that the computer is either a 2006/2007 and I doubt that anyone has changed the BIOS battery. Another question I should ask, I have two hard drives on my PC. How do I know which one has failed? I have a Maxtor 160GB with Windows 7 on it and a 1TB Samsung hard drive with music on it. Thamks for your advice, zaydnavaz.

32 Posts

August 4th, 2014 00:00

Hello again, Yes I am trying to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition after installing Windows 7 Home Edition. You mention in your post that you need a floppy disket drive. Trouble is, my computer hasn't got a floppy disk drive. I have tried using a USB stick but it didn't find the third party RAID drivers. Is there another way around this? If I change the hard drive, will I still have to install the third party RAID drivers? This is turning out to be a really troublesome computer :-( Thanks for your support, zaydnavaz.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 4th, 2014 08:00

zaydnavaz

Try the following:

If you are not using RAID, or do not have an internal floppy drive, enter the system setup, scroll down to drives, press Enter or + to expand the drive menu then down to "SATA Operation", press Enter.

Change the SATA operation mode to "RAID Autodetect/ATA" press ESC to save and exit the BIOS.

Then windows XP should install without a problem.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

August 4th, 2014 11:00

zaydnavaz

Try the following:

If you are not using RAID, or do not have an internal floppy drive, enter the system setup, scroll down to drives, press Enter or + to expand the drive menu then down to "SATA Operation", press Enter.

Change the SATA operation mode to "RAID Autodetect/ATA" press ESC to save and exit the BIOS.

Then windows XP should install without a problem.

Bev. 

Yes, that's exactly my point. XP won't install if BIOS isn't set to RAID AutoDetect/ATA, and that causes XP to give the 7b error. So at this point, I don't think you can say either HDD failed.

But you will have to create a floppy diskette with the SATA drivers so you can install them during the XP installation by pressing F6 when prompted.

Are you still getting the 3,4 diagnostics code? I can't promise replacing the battery will fix that but, a new $2 battery rules the battery out. And reseat all RAM modules in their slots after you remove the old battery.

Keep in mind that Win XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. So you won't receive any new security patches or updates from Microsoft, potentially leaving your system open to malware and hackers. I've seen Win 7 Home Premium 32- and 64-bit OEM disks for less than $70.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

August 4th, 2014 11:00

And since you don't have an internal floppy drive, you could just omit the SATA drivers and leave BIOS set to RAID AutoDetect/ATA. You will lose the advantages of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, but you  probably won't notice the difference.

Read this for a good tutorial on clean Windows installations on Dell PCs because you will need to install all the other drivers for the hardware in this system.

32 Posts

August 4th, 2014 13:00

Hello Shesagordie, I have some good news and bad news. The good news is that I have changed the SATA settings to RAID AutoDetect/ATA and Windows XP has got passed the 0x0000007b error code. I got to copy the Windows files and run through the setup. However while my PC was restarting, It was stuck on the Dell logo and wouldn't move further. Lights 1, 2, 3, and maybe 4 were on. I knew that there was an issue, so I decided to hold on the power button until it went off. When I tried to turn it on again, lights 3 and 4 were on and the computer started beeping AGAIN. I should also mention that I ran a Dell diagnostics check using the official MyDell software while my computer was working. It passed everything except for the funnel hard drive test. It didn't mention anything about RAM or anything. The good part though is a HUGE milestone for me. Thanks a lot! zaydnavaz.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 4th, 2014 14:00

zaydnavaz

Check the sequence of the 'Beeps'.

What colour is the power button light and is it blinking, or solid?

The Dimension 9100 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic codes are here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-9100_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

When all four diagnostic lights are green, this indicates the computer is in a normal operating condition after POST.

Diagnostic lights x-x-3-4 lite indicate a memory issue.

First try removing and reinstalling all the memory modules and start the system, to see if this makes a difference and report back.

Note: Before working inside the case, first read "Before Working Inside Your Computer" section of the Owners Manual.

Bev.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 4th, 2014 16:00

Sorry, all. The OP said lights 3,4 and my brain registered lights 2,3.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 4th, 2014 18:00

Sorry, all. The OP said lights 3,4 and my brain registered lights 2,3.

Don't worry about it, John, it happens to me all the time, except I'm of the age to be able to call it, 'a senior moment'. LOL   :emotion-4:

Bev.

32 Posts

August 5th, 2014 10:00

Hi Shesagordie,

What I swap my hard drives around meaning me making my 1TB Samsung the main hard drive?

I should also tell you that I got passed the 3 4 light and the beeping thing. problem now is that I am stuck on the dell logo and lights 123 are on. I can't access the setup and the boot sequence.

Thanks!

No Events found!