Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2015 03:00

Dell Dimension 9150 won't start, lights 2,3

Hello to all,

I moved to Italy and have reset the dip switch in the back of the server to 230v.  The computer starts up beeping noise and with light indication of storage 3 and 4  is on steady.   The monitor is not working and I get warning on the monitor that there is no signal.  I hope someone can shed light?  I'm not a computer guru, but I can try to work steps to make it work for it has a lot of personal stuff in it that I would like to access.   Thankyou

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 05:00

Well speak of the devil, I moved the Ram to slot 1, since it was not positioned in slot 1 but 4 and now the dell is booting up and working FINE  .... that is terrific!!!!!  I'm a woman with a bit of brain left!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 4th, 2015 04:00

Good job! Now you can brag to your friends. :emotion-1:

You also know you've got room to upgrade your RAM.

By the way, I updated your subject so others don't go looking here for a power supply fix.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2015 04:00

If you're not comfortable working with computers, I'd suggest taking it to a shop and having them diagnose and replace the module(s).

If you want to give it a try, please refer to your service manual.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Terratashi,

Lights 3 and 4 indicate a RAM failure, not a problem with the power supply. What you should do is remove all but one module. Then try starting the system up. Keeping trying with one module at a time until you identify the bad one and replace it.

4 Posts

Thank you for your help, would you have specs on how to remove module?

4 Posts

Hi Osprey,

I only have one memory card installed, in this case if I remove it what will happen? 

When I boot up there is warning noise and then it shows the symbol of a magnetic disk, with 3 and 4, then the database symbol dissappears and the lights stay on 3 and 4.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Ok, so that pretty much narrows it down. Replace that module and you should be good.

No Events found!