Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2014 09:00

Dell Dimension 9200 - Can it handle an SSD and Windows 8.1 64 bit??

I have a seven year old Dell  Dimension 9200 - see config below. Before chucking it, I want to explore the merits of breathing new life into this pc with an bootable SSD drive and WIndows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Can it handle it for non-gaming, non-rendering, HTPC-type use???  It would be mailnly acting as client to access  (perhaps running XBMC), and ideally, if I can, to stream tv/movies off of the internet ( or on other home pc's).

I dont might upgrading re-useable hardware, like replacing the old HD with a bootable SSD, but I am hesitant to buy memory, a PCI GPU etc for old hardware that I cannot easily re-use.

If its a bad path to go down, I will recycle and build a new one from scratch.

Config
______-

• CPU: Intel E6600 core 2 duo processor - 2.4GHz 4MB cache, 1066MHz FFSB
  • Chipset: Intel P965 Express
  • Memory**: 1,5GB DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC) ;  Maximum Memory: 4GB ;  4 slots : 2 empty ; 1  @ 1GB   ; 1  @ 512 MB
  • Graphics: HMGA15  (aka Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS Graphics 256MB)
  • HD:To be repalce with as SSD
  • NIC: Integrated Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection
  • Audio: Sigmatel 9227 audio codec ;  Internal 7.1 channel or PCI option cards
  • Expansion: 3 PCI ; PCIex1 ; PCIex4/x9 ; PCIe16
  • PSU : 375W

**DDR2 533-MHz (PC2-4300), DDR2 667-MHz (PC2-5300), and DDR2
800-MHz (PC2-6400) memory, the modules function at the slowest speed installed.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 30th, 2014 23:00

Only wrinkle is the its an OEM upgrade licensed copy...for which you had a solution for. That double install is interesting and encouraging.. No issue doing it twice, but I thought its asks for an activation key pretty early on in the process ... but I could be mistaken.

As mentioned you can install Windows 7 without inputting a product key. To save a double install instead activate using the command prompt this allows a clean install using an upgrade product key with a single installation.

See Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7 for details. For activation in particular see Step 11d:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

509 Posts

January 31st, 2014 10:00

Okay so to recap the Clean install options (with only a Win 7 upgrade license)

1) one option  is cloning - ie clone the working HDD to the new SSD.

2) another option is disconnect HDD, install SSD, boot with the Win 7 upgrade DVD and do a double install - first custom then upgrade ( that right?)  -

3) Regarding 11d, does it mean this is also an option:

- disconnect HDD, install SSD
- install clean via bootable USB ( digital river iSO file)
- use step 11 d and enter the Win 7 upgrade key to activate.

Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 31st, 2014 12:00

I have confirmed that OEM upgrade keys work with double-installed retail copies.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

You are correct.

509 Posts

Hmmm, suprising:)  ... thought Option 3 would not work as it would be expecting a retail key, not an OEM upgrade key.

But if it works, even better as that version is SP1 , where as the upgrade DVD is not.

509 Posts

January 31st, 2014 14:00

SO CLOSE BUT FAILED MISERABLY.

I know I had a cloning allergy, but apparently I have a double-install allergy as well.

Not working for me, naturally.

Quite tired now,

I will get there, but here is what happened. I guess I blew it somewhere, despite asking all my question up front and all the great tutorials.

ATTEMPT  1 - FAILED (INTNETIONALLY NOT CONTINUED)

OK, while I was waiting for confirmation about Option 3 above, I had already started a reinstall using the Win7 upgrade ( SP0) disk..I let it finish completely (inactivated) and simply moved on

ATTEMPT 2 - FAILED

Round 1- I rebooted to the Win 7 USB (ditial river ISO) and did a fresh install from there. I chose custom ( for round 1 of the double install) and I deleted all partitions and selected New at the prompt to ensure I was starting squeaky clean. I let it finish and was presented with the Windoss start screen.

Round 2-  I proceeded to re-install again, rebooting, selecting the USB drive and selected UPGRADE. It continued, telling eventual to remove the install media which I did. I then got the error/prompt below. I reinserted the USB stick but I had no idea what driver it was looking for.I   did notice while browsing that drive letters were messed up in that the hidden recovery partition got assigned C:, and thus installed windows on Drive D!

ATTEMPT 3- FAILED

Round 1 - I thought I would start over gain, this time I gain deleted all the partitions, but as well, I did NOT select NEW. I let it finish until was left at the windows start screen

Round 2-  I proceeded to re-install again, rebooting, selecting the USB drive and selecting UPGRADE. It continued, again telling eventual to remove the install media which I did. I then got same the error/prompt below. I reinserted the USB stick but of course, not successful. While browsing, I was the earlier issue was corrected;  I only saw the C drive. But now its stuck as No Device Drivers were found.

So , my misery recap:

OPTION 3: - this option is a dead end for me? Why??? Did I miss and obvious step?

OPTION 2- I guess I can go back to ATTEMPT 1 and une the old Win 7 upgrade discs on a double install

OPTION 1- Cloning,,,hmmm besides it NEVER working for me, can I even just clone the C drive partition of a 1 B drive onto the SSD?

Miscosift is sucking all the joy out of me - I just want to use my computers - , and I am so so tired right now. Taking a break, Why do they make it so hard > Why do I keep on buyng their software?

509 Posts

January 31st, 2014 15:00

Yet another option is to do another single install with the USB (ISO), only ONCE, and do the registry hack to activate per :

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

Still curious why the double install didn't work (for me).

509 Posts

January 31st, 2014 15:00

The regedit method worked!! Now activated!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 31st, 2014 16:00

And now, if your goal has successfully concluded, would you be so kind as to mark it answered?

509 Posts

January 31st, 2014 20:00

thanks again for all the guidance. Good to know there is some solution for every almost every scenario 

Finished  three fresh SSD's installs to date:

- win 8.1 pro retail key  using  rebootale USB created from DVD

- win 7 OEM reinstall disk , using rebootable USB created from digital river SP1 ISO 

- win 7 OEM upgrade disk, using rebootable USB created from digital river SP1 ISO 

Got  two left:

- win 7 SP1 OEM reinstall disk , plan on using rebootable USB created from digital river ISO 

- win 8 OEM USB and win 8 embedded bios , planning on booting with USB, then upgrading to 8.1 if qualified 

Thnaks again for the support. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 31st, 2014 22:00

You're welcome, and I'm glad we could help. (I'm assuming that means the BSODs are gone?)

509 Posts

February 1st, 2014 14:00

It would appear the BSODs are gone for now, so that's good.

I have both 9200's on Win 7 Sp1 64 bit , SSD boot drives, with the latest version of AMD CCC and no BSODs on either.

For now,

• I have the lower power dual core E6600/3MB unit in the home office (HD6450 1GB video and PSU) ... this works well as the machine gets daily use, and is simply using MS office apps. 

• I have the higher power quad core Q6600/4MB in the basement for theater/music/music ripping/other uses ( HD5670 1GB video and larger PSU) ... this works well as the machine gets less and I can easily change out video cards to anything more suitable. Win experience values are below. I beelive 4 GB is the max ram for the 9200.

July 6th, 2014 12:00

Hey saw your post and though I would make a comment I'm useing a Dell dimension 9200c with an intel Xeon x3230 quadcore cpu with 8GB of 800mhz dell recertifed ram now I know for a fact the the 9200 will support 8GB as well because my brothers dell dimension also has 8gbs of ram I though it was pretty funny you actually have the same card as me I have a HD 6450. but if you are interested in further upgrades to it feel free to ask me I can help.
These are my rateings with the following specs
Xeon x3230
8GB ddr2 800Mhz
HD 6450 1GB
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

84 Posts

July 7th, 2014 13:00

This is my dimension 9200 Windows 8.1 64bit runs great.
 QX6800
8GB DDR2 800mhz
R9 270 2Gb
Crucial m500 512gb

Don't know why the hard disk score is lower, would have thought this ssd would max out the SATA II connection the motherboard has, then again WEI is not the best tool sometimes

July 7th, 2014 17:00

Do you have AHCI mode enabled in the bios its what the ssd uses if you dont have it enabled it will run slower.

No Events found!