Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2009 10:00

Dell Dimension 9200 DChannel 4GB Memory kit (2x2GB DDR2 5300) upgrade

Hi there,

I just bought a new memory 4gb DChannel upgrade for my Dimension 9200. But it still gives only beeps starting my computer.

While installed on memory bank 1,2 white it not works !

I'm sure that this will the same memory specifications that was installed. 2 GB (2 x 1GB DDR2 5300) Dual Channel

Can anyone tell me that this upgrade not is supported by this motherboard P965.

What still works ! is install memory banks 1,2  white ( 2 x 1GB) and one at memory bank 3 (1 x 2 GB) black. But this is not at dualmode.

And will be reduced my memory speed.

5 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 03:00

To advise

.............I recently had the same problem, purchased 4x 1gig 667 MHz of ram. It did not mattter how I put the sticks in it would not Boot. I sort help and there were many who advised this that and the other, it made no difference, would not  work.  The Dimension 9200 , will take 4 gig mem, you will not ever see in the system 4gig, only 3 gig. Win xp pro 32 bit, users only 3 gig due to the system , if you have Vista 64 ,then ok.

Your problem ,as mine maybe a dead stick, I am lucky a friend tried all 4 of mine and one was DEAD. So I had been putting in the same dead stick each time and that may be your problem

There are many good answers in the general forum ,as many people have had simular problems............good luck...........4gig can be put in , but only 3 will ever be used...

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 06:00

What brand of memory did you purchase?  Dell's are known to be finicky and some brands will work in one Dell and not another, and there is no pattern.  Crucial is one brand that is guaranteed to work in Dell's and what most of our "techies" recommend.  www.crucial.com    There are other brands that will work, but as noted it's hit and miss.

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 07:00

The memory I bought is Kingston DChannel 4GB Kit, 2x2GB DDR2 PC2-5300

I see no other postings about this memory upgrade. Hopefully can you tell me that this memory isn't working.

The original memory's brand is HYNIX (2x1GB)

14.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 09:00

Remove all the memory and then with one new stick place that into memory slot #1 see if the system boots. if it does or not remove that one and replace it with the other new stick and retry again.

Can you provide a link to the exact memory you purchased.

14.4K Posts

No your system can only handle 1 gig sticks per slot. the ones you have are two gig so they will not work. IF you can return them do so. then check out THIS PAGE for memory that is 100% certified to work with Dell systems

7 Posts

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 10:00

Ok!  Thanks Davet50 for your help. I didn't no this...

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 14:00

I bought 2 1Gig sticks (CRUCIAL) , installed into slots .. now I have 2 sticks 1/2gig and 2 sticks 1 gig totaling to 3Gig. 

Problem is that now the display is messed up... I see patterns on windows screens and random messed up characters while booting...

I tried cleaning up the system (air spray), tried one stick at a time, tried not having new sticks in place.. no luck

Questions:

What can go wrong?

DId I have to follow any steps or any particular order in which I should have inserted the sticks in?

Video card messed up because of new extra memory?

Please advise.. i am sick with this....

Thank you,

nick

14.4K Posts

September 23rd, 2012 16:00

sounds like the video card is going.

14.4K Posts

what happens when you go back to the original configuration without the new sticks?

3 Posts

Unfortunately, it does not make any difference. Regardless of how many sticks do i install, the display is still messed up. I removed video card and installed again having cleaned.

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 21:00

Is there any order in which i was supposed to install the skicks in those 4 bays? Specially considering the fact that i was using existing two 1/2 gigs and two new 1 gigs?
No Events found!