Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2015 12:00

Dell Dimension E510 (5150) won't post -- '1' blinking, '3' and '4' on, as well

I have been wrestling with my Dimension E510 the past few weeks after reading a number of posts, but with no luck.  This started with a blinking amber power light, which I thought I had narrowed down to needing to replace the MoBo.

I am on my second MoBo and both have given the same indication when trying to power up.  Indicator lights '3' and '4' are on and not blinking.  The '1' is also on, but it is blinking.  None of the Dell literature addresses this combination and I've not been able to find another post noting this problem.

So far, I have replaced MoBo (x2) and the CPU.  My supplier also sent me a stick of known good memory which I tried on the most recent R&R.  Still no luck -- front panel indications are still as noted above.

Up to now, this has been a very dependable computer, despite its age.  If there is a cost-effective fix, I'd rather go that route than mess with trying to transfer all my data to a new box.

Other suspect areas are PSU and front panel itself, but I'd like some advice before going any further.  Many thanks!

1.2K Posts

May 4th, 2015 22:00

I would suspect the PSU, especially if you have not replaced it. It takes a standard ATX PSU, but you need to make sure it has the power connectors you need. (eg, do you still have a floppy? ) 

I put antec earthwatts 380s in all our systems several years, but the model I went with has been discontinued.

the antec 380D is a newer version after rebate is about $30, which is not a bad price IMO.

good luck. I still have one 5150 running in the family so I"m lucky to have 3 for spare parts :)

May 9th, 2015 12:00

So I installed a new-to-me PSU this a.m. (I bought the model you recommended) and still get the same front panel indication.  Could it be the front panel itself causing the issue?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 9th, 2015 12:00

My take on the documentation is that this is a memory problem. I don't know if the 5150 can work with one stick of memory; when I upgraded my relative's 5150 to 2gb, I used a matched ADATA PC6400 pair. (I replaced the failing power supply with a Cooler Master.)

Used memory can be had cheaply, although my preference is G.SKILL PC6400.

No Events found!