Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2009 06:00

Dell Dimension E521 - Bios Update Killed Motherboard?

Hi,

I was at a friends house, and was repairing/upgrading a few of his system components. I also went to flash the bios with a new one and BAM! The systems gone. Just an orange amber light and loud fans.

The system is out of warrenty also, what do I do? I don't want to wait on the phone for 45 minutes just to get through to Dell. + They'll ask for debit card before they can speak to me seen as its out of warrenty.

Help!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 26th, 2009 07:00

ZoneT

Remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard, wait 30+- minutes, replace it and see if the PC starts.

If this does not fix the problem, then the only typical remedy is to replace the motherboard.

Bev.

81 Posts

November 26th, 2009 08:00

Thanks. I already tried that to no avail.

I don't see why the end user has to pay for Dells mistakes. They must offer some sort of compensation. This is rediculous! They put out a bugged bios update, leading to the fries of many motherboards and WE have to pay to replace them?

Evil is all I can say.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 26th, 2009 12:00

ZoneT 

A refurbished OEM Dimension e521 motherboard can be purchased from HERE for $79.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 26th, 2009 12:00

ZoneT 

Sorry, but unless the PC has a warranty in effect, Dell will not replace the motherboard for free.

Bev.

81 Posts

November 28th, 2009 23:00

Thanks for everything Bev, but I refuse too.

After a quik google search, I found out how most E521's where burnt out due to Bios updates. So it wasn't even my fault.  Dell suplies a bad bios update, upon restart it fries the motherboard.

I'm going to scavage for what evers left inside the PC (hopefully the CPU hasn't fried along with it) and build a new PC out of the $80 I would have paid for a motherboard. I mean, what would a new ATX motherboard + case cost?... Not much.

Thanks for everything.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 29th, 2009 08:00

ZoneT 

Happy to have helped.

Unfortunately, if a non-Dell motherboard is used, a new retail, OEM copy of windows is required, as Dell's OEM copies are tied to their BIOS and will not activate.    :emotion-40:

Bev.

2 Posts

December 18th, 2009 09:00

This seems to be an issue with this system.   I am a purchasing agent who over 36 months has recommended over 10K Dell systems for the business and private sector.   That ends today.  I contacted Technical support about a MINOR bug that has existed since day one with this system, prior to the 1.1.4 BIOS update.   While i was doing a year end format and reinstall, i figured i would take care of this issue too. the system would ONCE IN A WHILE freeze up during BIOS load.  Not a big deal, but i figured, year end, clean slate, etc.   I was instructed to do the BIOS update.  I have done dozens of these without issues.   I downloaded the program, followed the directions, and BAM... FAILURE FAILURE FAILURE click OK to reflash BIOS.   Clicking Ok for 3 hours got the same result.  I called support again.  I was informed, without any troubleshooting, that i could purchase a NEW motherboard for 214.00 dollars.   I asked if she wanted to troubleshoot.  She said its a bad motherboard.  I asked for Escalation to supervisor. She said they would tell me the same thing.  So for a MINOR issue, i have to replace the machine.  I can assure you that as of this day, my company, my affilates or the companies that i advise will never again purchase anything from Dell Inc. 

Issues with support:

They make assumptions - no troubleshooting.

They charge 49.00 for out of warranty troubleshooting on an obviously known issue.

Their techs and databases recommend actions that are known to be detrimental to the E521.

They refuse escalation - speaking for those higher up the ladder.

Christopher Klein

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 18th, 2009 09:00

kitklein

Hi, Christopher.

That's a bummer.

You can buy a Dell OEM e521 motherboard @ $79.00 from HERE

Bev.

2 Posts

December 18th, 2009 13:00

I agree it is a bummer. I have ordered and OEM motherboard, and your source seems to be the answer.  But the problem remains that Dell gone downhill consistantly for the past 7 years.  They used to be the best in the Computer world.  Now they are right near the bottom.  I was DCSE (dell certified systems expert) before they outsourced Dimension and Inspiron to India. And our tenant was to take ownership, make no assumptions and get the issue resolved for customer retention.  Guess they have forgotten who it was who actually made them what they are.  That is a real shame. 

On the other hand, i had a HP printer fail on me out of warranty.  Not only did they troubleshoot it for free instead of the "required" fee.  They shipped me a new one when they realized that it was a known issue.  They were quite honest that it was because i was a 10 year customer and I always ordered ink from them.

In this case,i am just a small fish.  But if you do something right, a person will tell one other person.  If you do something wrong in the business world, that person will tell everyone that they can about the experience.

Christopher Klein

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 18th, 2009 14:00

Christopher.

I share your sentiments and it's one of the reasons for building my own desktops again.   :emotion-5:

Bev.

No Events found!