Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2013 09:00

Dell Dimension XPS 8300 - No Video Card, Sound, or Wireless Network

I've searched but can't find a solution to the problem. 

I received a Dell Dimension XPS 8300 with Windows 7 Home Service Pack 1 for Christmas 2011 and except for a few video card glitches it's been working fine. Reseating the video card seemed to fix it.

However, on 4/14/2013 when I got my PC out of sleep, my video card was  once again out of whack, and this time it took with it my sound card and seemingly my wireless network adapters with it. My monitor is currently plugged into the integrated port. My computer detects only my home wireless network when before it could detect six or seven of my neighbor's, and the signal it is receiving is incredibly weak. I have several other devices connected to the wi-fi and the signal they get is strong, so it's not the wi-fi. Despite receiving even that weak signal, it cannot connect to the network or the internet. 

It does detect the network adapters and my sound card, but not my video card.

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.10

6 gb RAM

64 bit OS

DW1501 Wireless N WLAN Half-Mini Card

Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter

I have (hopefully I can remember everything):

Rebooted several times

Hard booted

Shut down and unplugged for several minutes before plugging back in

Did a system restore as I noticed on 4/13 there was a Windows Device Update.

Made sure all my drivers were updated by downloading to a USB and uploading them to my pc (I am currently working from my husband's laptop). 

Removed all extraneous programs possible.

Defragged

Ran a full virus scan (McAfee)

Used Search and Destroy

Followed the directions for the power management suggested elsewhere on this forum.

I haven't installed anything new in the last month or so, or been to any websites I normally don't go to, or received or opened any strange emails. I thought maybe it was PsiService_2.exe, but upon uninstalling CorelDraw the program went away so it seems it was the legitimate version (and it was in the Corel program files, not the default Program folder). 

I am at a loss. Do I need to buy a new motherboard? I'm not even necessarily looking for a fix at this point, just seeing if I can figure out what specifically is failing so I can replace the right bit. Any help would be appreciated.

April 22nd, 2013 10:00

Thank you Rajath, I will do that now and post the results!

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 10:00

Hi CatJarrett2013,

I appreciate the steps performed by you to fix the issues with the XPS 8300. I suggest you to update the BIOS to the latest version and check if the system works properly.  You can download the BIOS and drivers from the following link:
http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Please install the drivers in the correct order as provided in the link below:
http://dell.to/X1IKGu

Let me know about your findings.

April 22nd, 2013 14:00

Finally found an external wifi adapter to work. Got the BIOS updated, but there is no "System Utilities" category in my Drivers and Downloads, and the Dell Diagnostics won't install on my PC, they say I need to contact my system administrator. This is not an office computer, there is no "system". I would be more than happy to download the updates in order, check my PC to see what updates I need, or verify my Service Tag, but I can't.

May 8th, 2013 09:00

Update to the issue, which is still not resolved. I still can't verify my service tag, and the drivers are all for XP. I have been told that there is an option to change the OS, but there is not. The only option available is XP. I finally ordered a Win 7 reinstall disc and driver disc. I'll get them installed and update further.

May 8th, 2013 13:00

The network adapter is now working, the reinstall of Win 7 from the disc that Dell sent to me seems to have done the trick! So yay!

However, after I installed the drivers in the order described by the article linked in this thread, I am getting the "nVidia cannot find compatible graphics hardware" error. Still no sound, either.

May 8th, 2013 15:00

And also, all of my Public Documents are gone, and I can no longer connect to the computers I was able to connect to before on my network. Now they're asking me for a name and a password. They didn't do that before.

May 17th, 2013 10:00

Finally got all my networking issues straightened out, no thanks to Dell. However, when I once again took out my video card to see if it was damaged or something I noticed it has an ATI Radeon sticker on it, but none of the parts numbers on the card itself can be found on either the nVidia or ATI sites. The Drivers disc Dell sent me says I have an nVidia GeForce GTS 450. The graphics card says Radeon. ?????? I have searched six ways from Sunday and cannot figure out what card I have. There are no labeled numbers on there, no FCC, no model number (Model: Cedar, I have no idea what that means), nothing. All I have is a p/n of 120036200G, and a QR code that when scanned gives me the number: CN0KP8GM637021383044A01.

When I Google the p/n 120036200G from the ATI Radeon sticker, it takes me to the AMD site, but it won't recognize the number.

According to Dell, it is one of two cards. I have installed the drivers for both with no joy. If there's some sort of conflict being created because Dell says I have one type of card when I have a different one (that came with the PC, I have not changed it), it should be able to be resolved without having to buy a new one.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 17th, 2013 11:00

AMD's Catalyst package contains the drivers for all their recent (2010 and newer) video cards, OEM or otherwise.

You're best off to download it from AMD's site, not Dell.

No Events found!