Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 5th, 2011 06:00

Dell Dimension power problem

Early this morning there was a power outage in my neighborhood.  I have my Dimension 510 on a UPS.  Since the outage didn't end quickly, I shut down the 510 (Win 7 Pro) and everything was fine.  When the power came back on, I turned all my devices back on.  However, the 510 wouldn't boot.  Nothing happens when I press the power button.  I checked the USB ports and there's no power in them.  The DVD drawer won't open.

However, the green light at the back on the computer is lit.  It remains lit even when I pull the power cord out of the computer.  I thought I remembered in the past that this light would go out when I pulled the power cord.

Any suggestions?  I assume the problem is either the power switch or the PSU but maybe there are other possibilities.  If I need to replace the PSU, what size would be recommended?  I have a low voltage graphics card that just draws power from the slot, so I think my power needs are minimal and I haven't had a problem before with the stock PSU.

Thanks for any advice.

14 Posts

December 5th, 2011 07:00

Sorry, make that a Inspiron 518.  My mind is foggy today.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 5th, 2011 07:00

The light wont go out immediately  if there is no load on the psu and the light is NOT an indication that the power supply is 100 percent ok.

UNPLUG EVERY SINGLE CABLE.

Hold the power on button and the light should go out.

Then hook only power and try to turn on.

Turn off again holding power.

Then attach cables 1 at a time powering off and back on until everything is back on.

Keyboard and mouse are usb can be hot plugged.

No Events found!