Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 5th, 2016 10:00

Dell Dock, not available for Windows 7

Finally found a post about dell dock after many tries continually getting information about docking stations on the support search. The information is woefully outdated. How do i reinstall without reinstalling the operating system? The information in previous from dell posts says Go to delldock.com Which can't be reached. For this small program i don't want to pay for new disks either. I need to get this fix done today!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 5th, 2016 11:00

Always include the exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

A .lnk file is a shortcut, not the actual app. So maybe your shortcut is damaged and you need to create a new one?

If you have to reinstall, a version for Vista is here. Be sure to make sure your PC model is on the Compatibility list on that page. And manually set a System Restore point before installing it.

EDIT: I updated the link to version A10.

6 Posts

April 5th, 2016 12:00

If you have to reinstall, a version for Vista is here. Be sure to make sure your PC model is on the Compatibility list on that page. And manually set a System Restore point before installing it.

Unit is W7, Inspiron 580

Is there a link for win 7?

6 Posts

April 5th, 2016 13:00

Finally found a post about dell dock (THE SOFTWARE) after many tries continually getting information about docking stations on the support search.

The information is woefully outdated.

How do i reinstall without reinstalling the os?

The information in previous from dell posts says Go to delldock .com  Which can't be reached.

For this small program i don't want to pay for new disks either.

I need to get this fix done today!

I tried the link. it did not have a link to the w7 version.

Unit for your information is an inspiron 580.

I hooked it up to search for the correct drivers software and did not get a link to the installed software and drivers.

6 Posts

April 5th, 2016 15:00

Always include the exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

A .lnk file is a shortcut, not the actual app. So maybe your shortcut is damaged and you need to create a new one?

EDIT: I updated the link to version A10.

i need the link to windows 7

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 5th, 2016 16:00

The only versions I can find are only for Vista.

R209606_e.zip
Version 1.5.3, A10
8/12/13
Windows Vista

STARDOCK_DELL-DOCK-APPLICATI_A03_R186613.exe
Version 1.0, A03
8/13/12
Windows Vista

You might need to use other Dock software.
RocketDock
ObjectDock

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 5th, 2016 20:00

Thanks Chris.

ROCKUT- Hang on a nano-sec...

The Inspiron 580 isn't on Dell's list of compatible systems for Dell Dock so how do you know it will work?  Did you previously have it working in Win 7 (or Vista) on the 580? Or did you just upgrade to Win 7?

You can try installing the Vista version using Compatibility Mode for Vista in Win 7.  I have no idea if that will work or not. And as I said, manually set a system restore point before you try to install it.

6 Posts

April 5th, 2016 21:00

I double checked. The unit shipped with W7.

The dock was on the computer.

The dock was slow when i first saw this pc.  now it takes several minutes to come up.

Unfortunately the user likes the dock. I would prefer to just put the appropriate icons there and eliminate a software layer.

No Events found!