Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2013 13:00

Dell Driver Analyze Utility lists the same drivers after updating them

I went through a complete clean install from factory setting because I'd been having system lag, accompanied by audio crackling, followed by a complete black screen freeze with ominous 7 beep "processor crash" warnings. For reference I'm using a Dell Studio XPS 8100

I first attempted to update my ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphic card from AMD's site but it wouldn't install properly. So I went to use Dell's Driver Analyze Utility and told me I had a whopping 56(!) drivers to update. The problem with that is that some of those driver updates on the To-Do list are for audio cards, video cards, and other features (like touch screen drivers) I pretty sure my computer doesn't have.

But I'm disgressing. There were some drivers at the top of the list that were listed recommended so I started with the "Application: Dell Support Center 3.0" first. Downloaded, installed,restart comp, checked program. Ran the Analyze Utility again to get new list. The Support Center 3.0 update was still listed. And this was pretty much how all the rest of the updates looked too.

Seems like the search results for available driver updates won't change for me. Am I refreshing the search incorrectly? Or is it telling me that in some way I haven't done my driver updates correctly?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2013 14:00

Hi Termonte,

Darned if I didn't just go through this for my XPS 8100 a few weeks ago!

I honestly would not rely on the driver analyzer. Go based on what you know about your system or use the Belarc Advisor. In fact, I always run Belarc just before I start the reinstallation process and print it out so I have all the information handy.

Anyway, there is a particular order for the installation. After the Win 7 installation process, I install SP1, IE9, then chipset, AMT HECI, network, Realtek audio, then video. Intel RST 9.5 last. Whether you want to install the Dell support center is up to you. I never got much out of it, so I've stopped installing it.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 17th, 2013 14:00

There is no analyzer utility that I know of. Putting in your tag just brings up every possible driver you might ever need. It is never a list of recommendations. It is up to you to determine if you actually have the hardware and whether or not you need an update. No one needs 56 driver updates. All available drivers are listed for that model computer, not your particular one. Use your hardware Device Manager to determine what hardware you have and whether or not the driver is up to date. You especially should not install Support Center or other unnecessary utilities. It can cause problems with your computer. Also don't install any bios updates unless you are instructed to by a support tech.

You were right to go to AMD site for update to your graphics driver and software. Let AMD run their scanner to see what you might need. If it didn't install right, you might be installing the wrong driver. Run the Dell Diagnostics to test all your hardware. That failing cpu is especially troublesome. It could mean there is a new computer in your future.

No Events found!