Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2006 01:00

Dell E310 Dead Completely

Dell E310 about 3month old.. Gone Dead. I thought it ws the power supply. I did some check...the light on the board is on but that is about the only thin that is working...
I swapped out the power cable still Nada..
What would be the probably cause.. I dont want to ask Dell for a motherboard without being certain about it
Any help and info is welcomed.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 27th, 2006 02:00

Solitude

First, open the case and check all the power and data cables, by removing and reseating them.

What is the reading of the power button LED, green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber? 
What is the sequence of the diagnostic LEDs at the front panel of the case?

Troubleshooting guide,

Bev.

3 Posts

September 27th, 2006 03:00

Thanks for you response.. but it does not help
the system does not boot up (dead) the only light is the light on the Motherboard.
I dont want to think it is the processor which is gone.. at least that is what the site says among other things

Still waiting for ideas before i call Dell.. I want to have all my facts am still under one year warranty but it helps if you have the facts.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Solitude   

Try plugging the power cord directly into a differnt outlet. 

Then if the power button LED is not lite, then there a strong possibility the power supply, has failed.

Bev.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 09-26-2006 11:38 PM

3 Posts

What do you mean the, so why does the Motherboard light comes on?
I am weary.. i want to think it is the motherboard or processor but i need to run a couple of test
i want to use the power supply on another unit but tht will be next day.
But Yes there is no power no light on the front panel...

1 Message

August 25th, 2007 17:00

Welcome to the club! My 12 month old Dimension E310 completely died also. Ofcourse there is no warranty, I guess Dell feels that 12 months is long enough! Naturally they will help for $50.00, and they'll take even more money from you in order to fix the problem (how kind of them). I did some diagnostic on my computer and I think it's a power supply. I have the same symptoms; blinking amber light, no other power or sounds, little yellow light on the mother board next to the battery...

So, I'm looking into the cost of the part to see if it is worth it for me to invest. I'd like nothing better than to take my business elswhere but if it's way cheaper to replace the part...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 25th, 2007 21:00

imichaelw

As the E310 has an open back panel, most standard generic stock ATX power supplies, with either a 24-pin or 20 + 4-pin motherboard main connector, with or without the on/off switch, can be installed.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

13 Posts

January 12th, 2011 11:00

I'm a tech working on a Dimension E310 for a customer.  I have the same issue -- light on the motherboard is lit, but nothing happens when pushing the power button.  I swapped power supplies -- nothing.  I'm continuing to dig...

13 Posts

January 12th, 2011 12:00

Bev,

Thanks for replying.  The power light is not lit, the diagnostic lights are not lit.  The motherboard light inside is the only one that is on.  I just tried another power supply with the same results.  I just purchased a motherboard on eBay and will report back!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2011 12:00

brmorris

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Check Diagnostic Lights on the front panel, are they lite, what is the sequence?

The e310/3100 Diagnostic Guide and Troubleshooter is HERE

Bev.

13 Posts

January 17th, 2011 11:00

A replacement motherboard did fix the problem.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 17th, 2011 12:00

brmorris

Please to hear, that replacing the motherboard resolved the issue and thank's for the heads up.

Bev.

No Events found!