Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 21st, 2009 07:00

Dell Inspiron 518 BIOS v1.0.7 64 Bit Vista DO NOT UPGRADE BIOS

I have the Dell Inspiron 518 desktop with 64 bit Vista, and attempted to update the BIOS to version 1.0.7 last evening.  I closed all open programs, disabled anti-virus, and ran the BIOS update as administrator.  The update began and asked if I would like to update from version 1.0.5 to 1.0.7, and I clicked on the update button.  The BIOS flash began by deleting the previous BIOS and then attempted to install the new 1.0.7 BIOS but produced an error message similar to "error writing BIOS to block," an the only option was to cancel the update.  I knew I did not have any BIOS installed at that point, but my computer was still operating so I made an additional attempt to re-download the 1.0.7 BIOS and re-install it.  No good, it would not even run now.  There was no turning back and no way to reinstall either the previous BIOS or the new one.  Eventually I tried to restart the computer, and it would not start. 

Dell is sending a tech next week to replace the motherboard on this otherwise great computer that is only about two months old.

DO NOT upgrade the BIOS on a Inspiron 518 with 64 Bit Vista to version 1.0.7.  The upgrade does not work and will kill your motherboard.

Art

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

March 21st, 2009 08:00

Lets hope this an 'One Off'.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2009 20:00

No it happened to me too.  Dell is replacing the motherboard under warranty but I was told somewhat firmly not to update the BIOS unless advised by a technican.  In my defense the BIOS update was listed as "recommended" under the download section for this unit on the Dell support website.

I would recommend to avoid two phone calls (over 40 minutes each) to tech support and several days waiting for a new motherboard, not to update the BIOS at this time.

Thankfully it is being covered under warranty.

40 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 20:00

Joe,  

I cannot believe this happened to you too.  The Dell tech I spoke to told me he was going to inform his next tier support about the v1.0.7 Bios not being compatable with Vista 64 Bit, and have it removed from the "recommended" updates section until it was fixed and verified to work correctly running it from within Vista 64 Bit.

There was no reason for your computers motherboard to be killed like mine was.

And, the v 1.0.7 Bios is still posted under the Dell 518 updates, just waiting to cost more Dell users more lost time and Dell itself more money in warranty repair costs.

Do any Dell moderators read these posts??  Pull this BIOS update off your site or more motherboards are bound to fail!!

40 Posts

April 19th, 2009 15:00

I see that Dell has posted the new 1.0.8 Bios that lists being compatable with Vista 64Bit.  I am a bit nervous about upgrading to this new 1.0.8, but it is listed as "urgent" so I imagine it is also important.

Has anyone had success with this 1.0.8 bios update with Vista 64 Bit on the Inspiron 518?

Thanks,

Art

12 Posts

June 26th, 2009 20:00

I have Vista 64 Bit on my 518 and upgraded the BIOS to 1.0.8 with no problems. Bob

1 Message

March 7th, 2010 18:00

I just downloaded the 1.0.8 Bios to my Insipiron 518 and now am having major problems at startup.  I get the message that system repair needs to be run and it takes 3-4 times of choosing normal startup for it to finally "catch." I wouldn't do it.

Why does Dell label something "urgent" when it's going to mess up your computer?

1 Message

June 24th, 2016 19:00

It's 2016 and my computer crashed after updated bios.  A friend got it running again.  I'm not upgrading anymore, but it still reminds me every couple of hours, ugh.

No Events found!