Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2013 17:00

Dell Inspiron 531 Upgrades

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 and I have recently been upgrading it. Here is what it is Currently Windows 8 Pro 32bit (just upgraded from Windows Vista), AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.1GHZ, 3GB of RAM, Standard 300w PSU and an ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Graphics Card. The BIOS is version 1.0.13 so there no problem with CPU support.

I am Currently Upgrading the RAM to 4GB which I already know how to do and just need some advice on changing the CPU I have a rough idea of how to do it but just to make sure there's no complications I would like to know if there are any adjustments I need to make. I have purchased the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHZ 89w and just need to install it. Iv had no problems with Windows 8 Pro on the current processor and hardware so it should be good to go! All I want to know is if there are problems you can see or adjustments that need to be made before I go ahead with this setup as it looks all ok to me.

Lastly I am also looking to upgrade my hard drive so if anybody can give some links to some good deals on hard drives (preferably in the UK) I would be most grateful. Also is it possible to have 2 internal hard drives installed at once (original and new together) or will the power supply only support up to one?

Thanks for all the Help!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

XxCJH123xX

Prior to installing the processor, check that you have the latest BIOS version installed, when support for newer processors was added.

The procedures for replacing the processor are here,

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

As you intend to reuse the heatsink, plan on cleaning it's base and reapplying thermal compound to the processor.

Directions for cleaning and applying thermal compound, are HERE.

Only need a small tube of thermal compound is needed, this can be purchased from any online, or local computer store.

Sorry, cannot help with buying a SATA hard drive in the UK, as I reside in the US, but a good place to locate a hard drive at a good price, would be to browse eBay.

The Inspiron 531 default 300w PSU will support two 3.5" internal SATA hard drives.

Bev.

2 Posts

Thank You So Much for the Advice shesagordie Nice to know that I can add another hard drive on the existing PSU Thanks Again for the Help =)

XxCJH123xX

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

XxCJH123xX

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

No Events found!