Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2011 06:00

Dell Inspiron 570 will not turn on - Help!

My computer shut down/turned off without warning the other day and will not power back up. I've never had a "blue screen" or any problems whatsoever with this computer. This just came out of nowhere. After the first shut down, I was able to turn it back on and it stayed on for 15 minutes and it shut back down. Then I went into panic mode and unplugged it, let it sit for 5 minutes, turned it back on while I had the cover off to see if the fans came on and they did - it stayed on for 5 minutes and turned off again!  I swapped out the power strip, used a different outlet, vaccumed out the dust - nothing worked.  When I push the power button it just "revs up" a little bit, maybe for 2 seconds, and shuts off - it does not come on long enough to show the Dell logo or anything.  This morning I unplugged it from the wall, held the power button for 1 minute to try to release the static, and all it does is rev up for 1-2 seconds and not turn on. Also, I took the cover off, checked all the connections and everything looks fine. This computer is 14 months old - just out of warranty. Any help would be very much appreciated!!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 10th, 2011 08:00

Skip the power strip and plug directly into a tested outlet after checking the power cord on the computer. Make sure it's plugged into the tower snugly. Then note what the front power button does when you restart--off, blinking, on, color--and report results if that doesn't help. Also--There is a light on the back of the tower near the power cord that should be a steady green, but there aren't any other diagnostic lights.

3 Posts

June 10th, 2011 09:00

This is what I did: Removed memory, replaced it, removed hard drive and replaced it. Plugged into outlet directly, it came on with a green light in the back, the power button light was solid white, and smaller light underneath that was blinking white. It stayed on for 15 minutes, started running diagnostic tests (I wish I would have bypassed that and tried to start windows so I could have emailed myself some important files I need)...but it shut down after 15 minutes. So I unplugged it again, let it sit for a few minutes, plugged back in and it started to rev back up for 2 seconds, the fans turned for a couple of seconds and it turned back of.  I'm really thinking it is the power supply. Am I doing damage to the hard drive by trying to turn it on so many times?  I'm really at a loss here.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 10th, 2011 09:00

I think a white steady light means the power is OK. That's what I see on my 570. The service manual is useless, but most computers show a blinking or amber light with a power supply problem. It just has generic instructions for all model computers. Overheating and bad memory would be the next things I would consider. Make sure the computer is not in a computer desk with limited air circulation or in a very hot room. Test the memory a chip at a time switching slots with each one. I'm not sure how you do this on this model so research it or wait for one of the other helpers to advise you. They might have more ideas to help. You are not hurting the hard drive by turning it on. You have done just about everything right. Did you make any recent changes--add or remove any hardware, any updates, any other changes?

3 Posts

June 10th, 2011 10:00

Nope, no changes. I was sitting here working when it went it shut down...4 hours into my shift with nothing updated or downloaded. I'm going to take it in to Best Buy since they will check it out for free and see what they say.

Thanks for your help Mary :)

13 Posts

June 15th, 2012 15:00

I purchased my Dell Inspiron 570 last February 2011 and May 2012 my PC stopped working correctly. It won't work meaning its running but my monitor shut down and goes into safe mode. PC runs without me turning on when I plug it up to wall socket or strip. Its weird and not sure what to do.

June 15th, 2012 20:00

Hi Jomamma4,

Welcome to the community,

Are you getting any LED on the motherboard or the power supply?  Also please remove the RAM chips from the computer and try to turn on the computer without the RAM installed. Please let me know if you hear any beeps from the computer with the RAM removed.

Let me know of the findings, Glad to be of assistance.

13 Posts

June 15th, 2012 21:00

For my 570 the only way the PC will come on is when I plug the power cord up. The front power on/off doesn't work at all, and its blinking. My monitor also goes into safe mode and shut off, when I try to power up my PC.

1 Message

September 2nd, 2012 20:00

I also am experiencing some of the same issues with my PC. I removed the RAM, the only light that is on is the LAN light. No beeps, fans spin shortly then turn off. No lights on power supply or motherboard. Can you help please?

No Events found!