Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

February 11th, 2015 11:00

Dell Inspiron 660 Mouse Turns Clicks Into Double Clicks

OK, let's try this again. Once again, a Dell provided mouse has stopped working right. My clicks are double clicks. This is a mouse sent to me, by Dell, to replace the original mouse that has the same exact problem.  This happens in every USB port I have no other mouse to test things out with. Either send me a working mouse that can last more than a year, or come to my house and replace all my USB's. Don't care which.  heck, give em a new computer and transfer my settings over if you'd rather.  But I am tried of these double clicks.

PS The diagnostic program doe snot work. For some reason, it's incompatible with my system, and keeps coming up as not being installed.

PPS I don't know what you think send me e-mails when someone replies means, but it certainly doesn't result in e-mails being sent to me when someone replies.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 11th, 2015 12:00

Version of Windows?

Did you look at the Windows settings screen to see if the box is checked to make single-clicks act like double-clicks?

And read this.

And that box means you'll get an email saying somebody responded to you in this thread. If nobody responded, no email.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

February 12th, 2015 10:00

Windows 8.1.1

Guide not much help. Problem exists in multiple programs. or even anything pinned on my taskbar. setting son fine. USB ports all have the problem.

The problem is, there were responses, and no e-mails. I waited a week with no repsonses, the checked back at my original question and there were replies.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 12th, 2015 12:00

There was a period recently when the forum had problems sending email alerts...

What happens if you boot in Safe Mode? You can find methods here to make Win 8.1 boot in safe mode.

If it works correctly in safe mode, you have a software issue...

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

February 14th, 2015 14:00

Seems to work fine in Safe Mode.  So what software problem is happening?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 14th, 2015 18:00

Hard to know exactly what software but if the mouse came with own driver disk, start by reinstalling those.

Can I assume you made sure that the Windows box to use single click as double click is not checked?

You may have to run a repair of Windows but back up personal files on external media first.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

February 15th, 2015 10:00

Drivers came preinstalled with my Dell.  Mouse option to update driver is not highlighted.  Can't even try to update them.  Not seeing any single click box on mouse settings. Only for Folders, and that is set to doubleclick.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 15th, 2015 16:00

That folder option is what should be set to double-click.

This will sound like a dumb question but are you using a mouse pad? Try a different one, or if not using a pad, try using one...

Do you know if this is actually a Microsoft or Logitech mouse? Is it wired or wireless?

Go to {whichever} manufacturer's site and look for a driver for their name brand equivalent of your Dell brand mouse for Win 8.1 and install that... Manually set a system restore point first, just to be safe.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

February 17th, 2015 14:00

Just says Dell on the bottom of my mouse. Will try no mousepad.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

February 17th, 2015 18:00

No mousepad and alternate mousepad has no change..

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 18th, 2015 12:00

We know this is software because you said the mouse works correctly in Safe Mode.

What OS did the system come with from the factory? And how did you upgrade from to 8.1?

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with your install and only a Refresh is going to help. But, if you system came with Win 8 and you upgraded to 8.1 and then 8.1.1, a Refresh is going to put you back to the Win 8 image and you'll have to upgrade to 8.1.1 again...

A Refresh shouldn't affect your personal files, but back them up on external media first. And you'll have to reinstall all your software again, so make sure you have all the installation disks and -importantly- the product keys before you begin.

Read this from Microsoft about running a Refresh.

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

February 18th, 2015 15:00

Came With Windows 8.0

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 18th, 2015 16:00

If you do a Refresh, you'll be back to Win 8. But at least that gives you the chance to see if the mouse will work correctly. And then you can install 8.1 plus all the other Windows updates.

Not sure what else to tell you at this point...

1 Rookie

• 

45 Posts

February 19th, 2015 10:00

Well, finally found the problem. Apparently quite a buildup of dust in my USB port (how it got in there when I haven't removed the plug for over a year I do not know.)  Been working fine now. After a few settings retweaks. No idea why Safe Mode wasn't affected.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 19th, 2015 11:00

Odd fix, for sure! Glad you got it sorted.

No Events found!