Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2017 05:00

Dell OptiPlex 3020

Dell OptiPlex 3020, steady orange LED on motherboard and no Light indication on power switch. shows no display on the monitor. fan starts as soon as i connect the power cable. i cant switch off the desktop using the power button, i have to remove the power cable. the orange LED stays on  for a short while after removing the power cable then goes off. problem just started suddenly and dont know if the motherboard or power supply is the problem. kindly help

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 9th, 2017 06:00

Check the power supply BIST (Built In Self Test). Does it pass? Click here for more data = Diagnostic LEDs for the OptiPlex series (2012 to Present)

22 Posts

February 9th, 2017 07:00

Did the power supply BIST, its working well. Now I have a problem with the Diagnostic LED because only one LED is on and that is the one on the motherboard. And the link you sent me does not show anything about the problem I have. Tho I did try some of the diagnostics it showed me that i thought was close but none helped. Is there any other solution?

22 Posts

February 9th, 2017 09:00

Now thats the problem, the power LED light is off.. even when the motherboard led is on and the fan is running. i checked all the connections and they are all fine. even the LED of the HDD which is usually on the front is off. and also the secondary fan is not working. neither are there any beeps when the RAM is removed

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 9th, 2017 09:00

The one LED on the motherboard just means that it is getting power. it does not mean that the motherboard is good or not. I just realized that this 3020 does not ship with legacy 4 quad pack diagnostic LEDs which are normally located on the front of the chassis next to the power button. It is now relying on the power LED light blinking amber pattern to determine failures listed in following table.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 9th, 2017 10:00

Sounds like a bad motherboard to me.

22 Posts

February 9th, 2017 11:00

yeah i guess so..just wanted to be sure. thanks a lot tho

1 Message

November 26th, 2017 05:00

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I want to ask if  my motherboard 

MHI81R/Tigris MT