Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2013 02:00

Dell OptiPlex 7010 SFF persistent fan rattle after three different heatsinks!

I work for a department that has recently bought over 40 new dell machines to replace a fleet of old optiplex G620's which have to be fair been bullet proof if a little slow.

When looking at the 7010's after we had them delivered I didn't particularly like the small heatisnk and blower assembly but as it is a SFF machine that was to be expected.

The problem is one one machine I cannot get rid of this rattle:

This happened with the heatsink this particular machine was first shipped with. Dell support sent a new heatsink out the next day. Super. I fitted it but within 10 minutes it was the same.

Then dell support sent a engineer out to replace it again  and within a week it is again doing as shown in the video above. 

Now I am concerned (I pushed for Dell built machines) that we have a fleet of 40 machines with these seemingly very very low quality fans attached to i7 based workstations and I have serious doubts they will last 7 years like the G620's before them!

Has anyone got any ideas what would be the next port of call? Not particularly happy with just swapping out cheap Chinese fan for cheap Chinese fan over and over again.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 30th, 2013 16:00

Hi Darkwaterblue,

It sounds like the fan is hitting something. If you pull the fan out, does it still make the noise?

August 31st, 2013 11:00

If I disconnect the fan while the machine is running the sound stops.

I cant see that it would be stuck on anything as the blower is sealed.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 1st, 2013 04:00

Time to Get Dell back again.

No Events found!