Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2017 09:00

Dell OptiPlex 7050 - Video Card

My company just ordered a Dell OptiPlex 7050 full size tower. It comes with a 240 watt platinum power supply. I run three u2515 monitors (1440). If I wanted to put in a discrete graphics card, are there any that have three DP or two DP and one HDMI that will run with that power supply?

Thank you for your help!

February 23rd, 2017 08:00

Hi, I am evaluating the same thing right at this moment, and here is what I have come up with:   the i7-7700 in this machine is a 61-watt part according to intel specifications.  (And, TomsHardware seems to indicate that it is actually 55 watts under load).    The following video card pulls 120 watts under load, and has 3 DP ports and an HDMI (it's a great card, btw).

www.zotac.com/.../zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-mini

So, I feel like even accounting for motherboard and extra disks (if desired), then shouldn't be a problem with the 240 watt PSU in this machine.   Cheers!

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2017 10:00

Thanks!

21 Posts

August 14th, 2017 18:00

I am wondering this same thing. Also looking at a 120 Watt card. The i7-7700 is supposed to take 50-60W with an absolute max being 87W. The M.2 SSDs seem to take 1-6 Watts. I don't think there's anything else that will draw significant power. But this does leave us with little room with the stock 240W PSU. Only 27 Watts to spare, which seems a little risky. However that 27 Watts is based on MAX power draw from all these devices. That won't happen with normal business application usage. But my customer wants to use it for rendering 3D CAD from a company called 2020. I can see the rendering as pushing the hardware very hard (pretty typical for rendering). Not sure that it will push every piece of hardware to full load concurrently (probably not... at least not the SSD). But still not much elbow room.

Manufacturer of the video card says a 400 Watt power supply is required, but they also list the power consumption as 120 Watts. I'm pretty sure they list the 400 Watt requirement simply because it is unlikely that anyone with 400W or greater will exhaust their PSU anyway.

Any reports back on your results with this type of undertaking?

1 Message

August 29th, 2017 07:00

I bought the GTX 1060 3GB mini as per this thread's suggestion and installed it on an OptiPlex 7050 i7-7700 w/ 16GB of RAM. The proprietary power supply in the Dell doesn't have a PCIe connector, so I used a SATA to PCIe power adapter. Not ideal, I'm sure, but it works. I ran the Heaven 4.0 benchmark and got a score of 2990 with a max gpu temperature of ~75degC.

I did attempt to upgrade the unit's power supply with a 350W Seasonic TFX form factor supply. To make a long story short, I couldn't get it to work. My guess is I wasn't presenting sufficient load to the 5V and/or 3.3V rails to achieve regulation. I may try this again in the future when I find my box of power resistors...

If I had to do this again, I would probably just go with a 1050 bus-powered card. I'm not gaming with this machine, but am running graphics and cpu intensive applications like COMSOL and Autodesk products.

No Events found!