Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 18th, 2015 04:00

Dell OptiPlex 755 - XP Install

I recently purchased a Dell OptiPlex 755 Desktop Computer. I bought the second smallest form factor. I have no idea what's going on...

The computer came without disks, as is... But, 2GB of memory on Windows 7 HP x64 is not exactly fun and I have no plans to use Home Premium at all...

I have an original Windows XP installer disk that I'd like to use and I've tried using, however, in the meantime, the optical drive has gone bust, unfortunately.

However, it wasn't possible to install XP using the disk anyways since it BSODed upon "Setup is starting Windows" with the primary code 0x0000007b. I've played around with the BIOS a bit but that didn't help

I've tried slipstreaming the classic f6flpy3286.zip into the install using nLite and putting it all on a bootable Rufus USB but that didn't help either.

Now I'm dumbstruck as to what to do. I'd really like to use this machine and Windows 7 is lagging, if I'm lucky I'll be able to hit ctrl+alt+delete and get the Windows Security Panel within 30-45 seconds, Outlook doesn't like being on there either.

Any help is appreciated.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 18th, 2015 11:00

0x0000007b is an inaccessible boot device. AFAIK, you get around this by pressing F6 to install the drivers as the XP install disk is booting.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 19th, 2015 06:00

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-755/manuals

In Bios under DRIVES under SATA OPERATION select RAID Autodetect/ATA.

F6 Drivers ONLY work from floppy.  The work around is to set SATA OPERATION in bios to ATA instead of AHCI.  This issue exists with XP VISTA and 7.  The workaround is to install ATA mode in bios not AHCI.

The drawback to this method is that you need a USB DVD or CDROM Drive to F12 Boot from.  The reason for this is that SATA DVD Drives will not boot when in ATA MODE.   This works fine for a GX620 because the GX620 has ATA not SATA Optical Disk Drive.

XP does not support AHCI out of the box hense the need for F6 mass storage drivers.  If you are using 64 bit windows use version 9 from the intel link below.  You must match 32 or 64 bit version.

BSOD

STOP  0x0000007B (0xF789EA94, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE

Your issue is a Known problem for Windows in General.

http://ftp.us.dell.com/SATA/R165147.EXE

You receive a Stop 0x0000007B error after you move the Windows XP ...

You receive a Stop 0x0000007B error after you move the Windows XP system disk to another computer

Changing after the fact can be done using a registry hack.

Creates floppy disk for AHCI configuration - used to preinstall AHCI driver (F6 during Windows* setup).  Choose the download you need, depending on your operating system version:XP/VISTA/7

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18668/AHCI-F6-Floppy-Disk-Utility-for-AHCI

Although Microsoft does not support this method, you can import or merge the required registry entries, and copy the drivers beforehand to support all IDE controllers that are natively supported by Windows XP. Note that although this method might enable the relocated system disk to start successfully, other hardware differences can lead to other problems.

755 and add the F6 chipset drivers for the 755.

This error may occur if the registry entries and the drivers for the mass storage controller hardware in the backup computer are not installed in Windows XP.

For integrated device electronics (IDE) controllers, there are several different chip sets available,such as Intel, VIA, and Promise. Each chip set has a different Plug-n-Play identifier (PnP-ID).

The PnP-ID information of mass storage controllers for the backup computer must be in the registry before startup so that Windows XP can initialize the correct drivers.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager   

Release Date:    11/30/2007
Version:    7.6.1.1002, A10
Download Type:    Driver   
File Format:    Hard Drive
File Size:    314 KB   

ftp.us.dell.com/.../R165147.EXE

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 19th, 2015 12:00

You cannot install that os from usb flash drive. XP must be installed via USB DVD.  Slipstreaming the driver is not the same as F6 install.Note Mass storage controller drivers can be loaded only from floppy disks by using the F6 key. The F6 key cannot be used to load drivers that are stored on USB flash drives, on USB hard disks, or on other external storage devices.

The following USB floppy disk drives are included in the Txtsetup.sif file and are therefore supported for use during Windows XP installation:

Plug and Play ID USB floppy disk drive model
USB\VID_03EE&PID_6901 Mitsumi
USB\VID_057B&PID_0000 Y-E Data; Sony part number 09K9835
USB\VID_0644&PID_0000 TEAC; IBM option part number 27L4226, FRU 05K9283

The following USB floppy disk drives are not included in the Txtsetup.sif file and therefore are not supported during Windows XP installation:

Plug and Play ID USB floppy disk drive model
USB\VID_03F0 &PID_2001 HP
USB\VID_054C &PID_002C Sony
USB\VID_057B &PID_0001 Y-E Data
USB\VID_0409 &PID_0040 NEC
USB\VID_0424 &PID_0FDC SMSC

That wont work for xp.

If you set the drive operation to Raid autodetect ATA instead of AHCI then you do not need to use an F6 driver.

You must then F12 BOOT and install from USB DVD DRIVE to install.

Sata DVD drives wont boot when the bus is set to ATA mode.

F6 drivers MUST COME from floppy and there is an EXTREMELY limited number of USB floppies that work for this purpose.

F6 Drivers Apply to windows only.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-029979.htm

General information

Troubleshooting