Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 28th, 2017 07:00

Dell Optiplex 745 motherboard in Desktop case

I know that Dell motherboards are proprietary and you cannot interchange ATX, mATX, uATX motherboards in dell Bx cases. However can you fit a 745 SFF motherboard in the larger desktop case. The IO panels appear to be the same.

I have a number of both types but the desktops are older GX110's and the GX745 will take a dual core or quad core (Q6600) CPU.

What the SFF case lack is the ability to add an additional hard drive. I can get an SSD and two 3.5" drives in a GX110 case if I dispense with the floppy drive. I don't have room in the proposed locations for towers and the larger case has better cooling and a larger power supply.

Many thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 30th, 2017 04:00

These models are not the same and  do not have removable back plate.  This means you would have to hack holes in the back to get it to fit at a minimum.  There is also NO GUARANTEE That the power supply is the same rating on all rails.  The 745 has 2 audio outputs not 3.  The boards are not interchangeable between models OR sizes.The 745 uses SATA power and SATA optical drive the 520 uses ATAPI Optical drive and MOLEX Power connectors.  So there are several physical incompatibilities as well as electrical issues.

January 29th, 2017 12:00

Thanks Ron. I have just noticed there is a typo in my original post. The case I am referring to is a GX520 NOT GX110 which is one of the old cream coloured desktops. The GX520 case appears to be very similar if not identical to the GX755 desktop. What I am trying to ascertain is if the motherboard used in the SFF is the same as used in the desktop. I would be surprised if Dell manufactured 3 different boards for SFF, Desktop and Tower may may well be off the mark. I also think the front panel and button etc is similar.

Fozzie

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 29th, 2017 12:00

Question is if the front panel connectors are wired the same between the two systems.

Dell typically uses custom connectors between front panels and motherboards and doesn't make the wiring public.

So unless you're in position to map the connectors, or somebody else has already done it...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 29th, 2017 16:00

Now I'm totally confused!  :emotion-7:

Exactly which motherboard in which case? A 745 SFF board in a GX520 desktop case...???

Dell made different motherboards for each of the four 745 form factors:

Desktop: KW628
MiniTower: TY565
Small FF: WK833
Ultra Small: GW726

The GX520 desktop uses a XG312 motherboard and the GX520 Small FF uses a XG309 motherboard.

Just because the connector and front panels look similar, doesn't mean they are. The connectors may be identical in shape/form but wired totally differently, and there's a circuit board in the front panel too. So BIOS on motherboard from one model may not recognize the front panel from another model...

January 30th, 2017 00:00

I stand corrected. I knew that the board in a tower was different from the desktop in any Optiplex model range but thought the same board was used in SFF and Desktop.

Apologies for the confusion but I am asking if the GX745(or 755) SFF motherboard will fit in the GX520 case.

Fozzie

January 30th, 2017 08:00

Thanks Speedstep. Sounds like the answer is an un-verified but highly likely NO then ;-)

Many thanks for both you and Ron for replying to my question

Fozzie

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 30th, 2017 10:00

Also Keep in mind that the 520 is the older model.  745 755 760 780 can be had in all sizes essentially for very little money when you consider that Home Windows is $119 and Pro Windows is $249 retail.  You can get OEM Windows 7 or 8 or 10 installed versions of these for $99 to $249 from

Amazon or Walmart or Microcenter or Ebay etc.

Personally I ONLY Recommend MT aka MINI TOWER versions because regular power supplies fit these meaning you can keep them going for years to come. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/174625899

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N52YVOE

No Events found!