Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2016 08:00

Dell Optiplex 755 won't load thru BIOS to boot

Today I came in to use my PC and it will not boot into Windows. It started out as "initializing intel boot agent PXE" error, after following other articles, I got that to go away, I switched from NIC ON w/PXE to ON only. That made the PXE error go away however I am still not able to boot to Windows, I get a flashing cursor on the upper left of the screen and nothing more. I did a factory reset of the BIOS and still nothing. Any other ideas? Also is there an offline way of updating the BIOS if I cannot get into Windows to install the program? Most BIOS updates I have done are an exe that you download, extract t USB and then run on boot.....

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 10th, 2016 15:00

What color is the power button and is it steady or blinking? Check the 4 diagnostic LEDs on the front panel and look up the error codes in the manual which may point you at the problem. Are there any beeps from the PC?

Look in BIOS setup to see if your boot hard drive is correctly recognized on the SATA0 port.  Then make sure the hard drive is first in the boot sequence.

If the drive isn't recognized in BIOS setup, power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open the case and carefully reseat the SATA cable between the hard drive and motherboard at both ends. Also check that the power cable is correctly attached to the drive. Close the case and try to boot now.

If it doesn't boot and the hard drive still isn't recognized in BIOS setup, then you may have had a  hard drive failure.  See if you can boot from a bootable CD, DVD or USB stick...

No Events found!