Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 27th, 2013 09:00

Dell Optiplex 760 Diagnostic Lights Flashing

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with my Dell Optiplex 760. I have tried unplugging and replugging all of the connectors from the motherboard and I have also tried removing and reinserting the RAM. However, the problem is still apparent. When I plug the computer to a power source (have tried UPS, surge protector, and directly to a wall outlet) and press the power button, the power button flashes amber and the numbers 1 and 3 flash in green on the front of the computer. Does anybody know what's going on or have any suggestions? Thank you. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 27th, 2013 09:00

Manual (page 162) doesn't say anything about the LEDs flashing, but a blinking amber power button with LEDs 1&3:

A possible motherboard, powersupply, or peripheral failure has occurred. 

• Power off computer, leaving the computer plugged in. Press and hold the power supply test button on the back of the power supply unit.
  • If the power supply diagnostic light next to the switch illuminates, the problem may be with your system board.
  • If the power supply diagnostic light next to the switch does not illuminate, disconnect all internal and external peripherals, and press and hold the power supply test button.
  • If it illuminates, there could be a problem with a peripheral.
  • If the power supply diagnostic light still does not illuminate, disconnect the power supply from the system board, then press and hold the power supply button.
  • If the light illuminates, there could be a problem with the system board.
  • If the power supply diagnostic light still does not illuminate, the problem is probably with the power supply.

November 27th, 2013 10:00

Hello UsvartJ,

Ron has provided an awesome step by step troubleshooting for testing the power supply and motherboard.  If you need a video, here is youtube link that walks you through the process:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19534032/20480041.aspx#20480041

Please let us know if you run into any difficulty.
~Maureen
#iwork4dell

2 Posts

January 24th, 2014 09:00

We are having problems with about 4 760s, SFF. Blinking Amber power button, LED's 1&3 are blinking as well. Have replaced psu, checked with known good front panel, etc. I don't see a link to the youtube video, but we are starting to have lots of problems with these.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 29th, 2014 10:00

I pinged my Dell tech contacts and they're going to look into this problem.

Stay tuned...

2 Posts

January 29th, 2014 11:00

Thanks. anxious to see what they say.. I know we've had several problems prior to just the power supplies..

1 Message

May 15th, 2014 08:00

I have a Dell OptiPlex 760 that was not getting past the initial power up. Flashing Amber power light, diagnostic lights 2 3 and 4 lit and no POST. After much head scratching I purchased and installed an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 in the LGA 775 socket. This time the power light was green but the diagnostic lights 1 and 3 were on. I had installed PC2-4200 RAM. When I replaced these with PC2-6400 the system booted right up. I had also purchased a new motherboard on Ebay (for $17) which I will now store in case I need it in the future.

3 Posts

January 10th, 2015 22:00

Hi, 

I had the same problem with 2 PC's. Blinking Amber Light (Start Button) & 1,3 Green Lights.

I solved the problem by replacing the SMPS.

No Events found!