Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2009 14:00

Dell Percision 690 Hard Drives

Has 3 SATA marked connections and then HDD 0 thru 4 connections on the board with a 5th I think SATA as well??. Currently the former owner used two SATA marked drives with a 120 / 500 gig drives.

My question is I have read where the  HDD marked one are SAS and SATA some say just SAS.

Which are they?

I have no cables other than the two SATA drive cables.

What cables and part numbers do I need to connect the SATA drives to the HDD marked connections? I hear Dell uses different cables so I don't want to mismatch them.

I was thinking of keeping the OS drive as is on the SATA and moving two data drives 1tb each to the HDD connections.

This is so I can hook up my SATA DVD's.

Also - memoreyboard for a 690 so I can run VM's in memory?

Dell make those?

82 Posts

August 11th, 2009 14:00

SATA 0-2 can run SATA HDD and CD/DVD. HDD 0-4 are controlled by onboard SAS controller which must be activated in BIOS to run drives from connectors. SATA cables are also SAS cables, no difference. Dell sell the same cables as separate SATA or SAS cables but the part number is the same. You can run boot drive either from SATA 0-2, although HD should be placed before DVD/CD. Further drives can be run in HDD slots. You can mic SAS and SATA on these slots but must have RAID arrays made up of same type of drive (can run RAID 0 or 1 from HD slots but not from SATA. It is possible to run 5 SATA drives using the SATA 0 slot for boot drive. SAS drives cannot be run from SATA slots. Hope this is clear. Try different configurations to learn what is possible. It's all detailed in the online manual on Dell Support site anyway, which should be first port of call for hardware issues. Can'y answer last two questions. 

No Events found!