Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 10th, 2011 05:00

Dell Precision 470 Reoccuring reboot.

I have a Dell Precision 470, with two xeon 3.6 ghz processors and 2 gb ram.  I woke up 3 days ago and it was hung up, so I had to reboot it.  When I rebooted it, it would get past the post check, give all green lights, then reboot.  I tried a Windows XP recovery and it rebooted.  The only thing that would load is command prompt to the hard drive from the CPU.  I tried replacing the hard drive, no luck.  I tried Ubuntu live CD and it hung up and reboot before the GUI loaded.

So, then I made a dell diagnostic CD and booted into that.  Using the troubleshooting symptom tree I let it run tests.  When it got to the MP CPU test it would reboot. I then tested the motherboard, memory, hard drive, and bios and they were all fine.  Then I removed the 2nd cpu, 2nd vrm, and 2nd cpu fan and the computer booted no problem.

Which would be more likely: A) CPU failed because the person I bought it from probably removed the heat sink and didn't put in new thermal paste, B) the VRM is has failed, or C) the mother board has failed on the second socket or bus to the socket?

3 Posts

February 10th, 2011 20:00

I swapped out the CPUs on the first socket and the second CPU would not even boot past to the Post and registerd as a mis-seated card. I put the original cpu in the first slot and it did loaded with no problem.  So the second CPU definately failed.  Is it possible that the CPU failed on it's own, or the motherboard or VRM is bad?  The Dell Diagnostics said the motherboard and bios was fine... but I didn't want to get a replacement CPU and have it get fried too.  Any suggestions or feedback?

No Events found!