Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2008 06:00

Dell Precision 670

THE COMPUTER WILL NOT BOOT UP AT ALL .  AS SOON AS YOU TURN ON THE POWER SWITCH ALL THE FANS COME ON IN THE TURBO MODE.  I HAVE TRIED RESETTING THE CPU CHIP'S, REPLACE MEMORY, AND UNPLUGING HARDWARE BUT WHEN i DO THE SYSTEM WILL NOT COME ON AT ALL.  CAN ANYONE HELP!!!!!

14.4K Posts

December 12th, 2008 07:00

Limikee

Welcome to the Dell Forums

Your problem sounds like a motherboard issue but we will need to do a bit more troubleshooting to help you determine what is broke. So lets start here

1. when you power on the system look at the condition of the light in the power for color and wether it is flashing or not

2. Check the diagnostic lights. allow the system a min to let them possibley stablize as the will go through a sequence as the system attempts to boot up The lights are on the front panel See HERE   for mor info.

3. Listen for any beeps and if so try to hear the patteren that info is in the same as the previous link.

Report back with the finding and we will  provide further assistance.

Oh an just for your info, Typing in all caps on a forum is considered the same a yelling.

4 Posts

December 15th, 2008 07:00

THE COMPUTER WILL NOT BOOT UP AT ALL .  AS SOON AS YOU TURN ON THE POWER SWITCH ALL THE FANS COME ON IN THE TURBO MODE.  I HAVE TRIED RESETTING THE CPU CHIP'S, REPLACE MEMORY, AND UNPLUGING HARDWARE BUT WHEN i DO THE SYSTEM WILL NOT COME ON AT ALL.  CAN ANYONE HELP!!!!!

Hello there are no beeps but the light are on from left to right is Green, Yellow,Yellow,Off.   

A possible VRM 0 failure has occurred.  Not sure what the is!

14.4K Posts

December 15th, 2008 08:00

Can be possibly memory. Try pulling all memory out and then place one stick in the slot closest to the processor see how it boots. remove that stick and repeat with the other untill all memory has been tested. if no change, inspect the motherboard capacitors. look for leaking caps,bulging caps.

Try doing a CMOS reset

5 Posts

December 15th, 2008 09:00

Try doing a CMOS reset

Hi Dave,

How exactly do I do a CMOS reset? Is it as simple as removing the battery and replacing it?

I'm sorry to jump in here but it sounds like limikee is having the same problem that I am and I was lookin' for more advice.

Here is what I posted

My E510 gets hung up on the DELL screen.

When I click on F2 or F12 it doesn't work.

The screen displays: The Blue DELL logo, DELL DM051 Series, BIOS Revision A07 and the Intel logo. 

The hard drive symbol, 1 and 4 lights stay on once it cycles through all the lights (1 thru 4) but then the hard drive symbol light shuts off leaving only light numbers 1 and 4 on.

No beeps.

Someone replied and here is there suggestion and my comments.

The 1 and 4 lights that you mention are not included in the diagnostics page for your system. Uh-oh

This usually suggests a motherboard or CPU problem. Uh-oh But you can start by unplugging the system ... Check

unplug and reconnect every cable in the system. Check 

Remove and then reseat every card that is installed. Check

Remove and replace all the memory. Check

When inside, I suggest that you use a can of computer grade commpressed air to completly clean out the system. Hold the fan blades while you spray then to prevent them from over spinning and killing the fan. Check

I even went as far as removing the processor and cmos battery. About the only change that took place is that now when I hit the F2 key the dell screen says entering setup...but it doesn't.

Do yoo have any other ideas Dave?

-Luis

5 Posts

December 15th, 2008 09:00

Try doing a CMOS reset

Hi Dave,

How exactly do I do a CMOS reset? Is it as simple as removing the battery and replacing it?

I'm sorry to jump in here but it sounds like limikee is having the same problem that I am and I was lookin' for more advice.

Here is what I posted

My E510 gets hung up on the DELL screen.

When I click on F2 or F12 it doesn't work.

The screen displays: The Blue DELL logo, DELL DM051 Series, BIOS Revision A07 and the Intel logo. 

The hard drive symbol, 1 and 4 lights stay on once it cycles through all the lights (1 thru 4) but then the hard drive symbol light shuts off leaving only light numbers 1 and 4 on.

No beeps.

Someone replied and here is there suggestion and my comments.

The 1 and 4 lights that you mention are not included in the diagnostics page for your system. Uh-oh

This usually suggests a motherboard or CPU problem. Uh-oh But you can start by unplugging the system ... Check

unplug and reconnect every cable in the system. Check 

Remove and then reseat every card that is installed. Check

Remove and replace all the memory. Check

When inside, I suggest that you use a can of computer grade commpressed air to completly clean out the system. Hold the fan blades while you spray then to prevent them from over spinning and killing the fan. Check

I even went as far as removing the processor and cmos battery. About the only change that took place is that now when I hit the F2 key the dell screen says entering setup...but it doesn't.

Do yoo have any other ideas Dave?

-Luis

14.4K Posts

December 15th, 2008 13:00

CMOS RESET. this involves a jumper on the motherboard Item # 30 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

1 and 4 light not being shown in the diagnostic light listing will usually indicate a motherboard issue.

So you reseated all the above. I suggest now you remove all the cards, remove all the ram, unplug the power going to the drives. press the power button note color/condition of power button light, look at diagnostic lights.

you should have hopefully a different light code. if it is still the same the motherboard is gone. See HERE for some links to replacement boards, you can also get tone at  Dell Spare Parts

No Events found!