Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2009 08:00

Dell Precision 690 Wont start up

Hope you are all having a cool holiday and thanks for taking the time to view.

I bought my Dell Precission 690 about two months ago, I noticed that it seemed to be glitchy starting up until 2 hours ago when I switch it on it powers up but no post/no boot just 2 short beeps?

I cant for the life of me understand why, I am in the middle of doing some important work and this happens any Ideas?

XP pro

2 X Dual core zeon duo 2GHZ each

4 GB of Dell Ram

Nvidia 260

I was still getting the post up until a couple of hours ago but now zilch it's as if it were dead apart from the fact that the fans are working.

Is there anything I can do, I am assuming that the two beeps are from what should be post?

Thanks

Scotsmist 

3 Posts

December 28th, 2009 09:00

Could this be a ram problem? recently bought some specifically for this model and it seemed right as I was using it for 2 weeks and the start up problems started well before this?

2 X   PC2-4200 FB X4 C444

Thanks

Scotsmist

112 Posts

December 28th, 2009 09:00

The two beeps are indeed from POST (power-on self test), and are the only way for the system to communicate to you possible causes in the event of an unbootable system.

However, two short beeps is ususally accompanied by on screen info - things like a dead CMOS battery, floppy drive seek failure, chassis intrusion notification, etc. The type of things where it would want you to press F1 to skip or F2 to enter Setup (BIOS). If you're not getting any video at all, I'm not sure what 2 short beeps would indicate.

3 Posts

December 28th, 2009 12:00

Thank you Disord3r,

I think that the two beeps may signify a healthy system and the problem I am having is something else, I did change the memory and I managed to get the system started but only after switching on and doing the what has become now ritual 'Ctrl, +Alt/Del, Ctrl, +Alt/Del  then F2' Someone tell me,  I shouldn't have to do this but there you go if I don't it won't start up

My Windows XP has now become so slow that trying to get my stuff off is taking ages but I need to do this as I didn't get the chance to do a back up..

Another thing is I cannot install XP, I was able to up to a few weeks ago but now due to the error I keep getting this also seems no longer possible, see message below:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3 

I can access my 4 Sata HDD's but cannot use the other 4 Sata's situated next to the back of the floppy disk drive these four have never worked but I know they should.

I guess sorting out a way to get my XP disk to install is the main priority now any Ideas appreciated. 

Thanks,

Scotsmist.

No Events found!