Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2017 19:00

Dell Precision Tower 3620 won't power ON

I'm battling this weird error with several of my towers. At some point the tower gets into this state where it won't power ON. Conditions:

1. Plugging in the power cable won't start the short PSU test.
  2. The power button lightly (not full blink, but very soft one) blinks about every 10 seconds.
  3. Pressing the power button for a while causes it to flash 2,1 code.

Somehow the tower may still recover in the future. 

I have the CUBE3 metal expansion enclosure connected to it. The system and enclosure works fine when it works. If I just run simple shutdown now the system would shut down, but then transition into the state listed above. The CUBE3 enclosure was still powered at the time.

Then I remove the PCIe expansion card, resit the power cable. But it doesn't help.

Unplugging the power cable (or not), waiting a bit, will recover the tower at some point.

It seems that there are some settings somewhere that have to be checked oo changed. Or a procedure to shut down the tower should be different.

Has anyone seen this before?

Any suggested solution?

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

March 31st, 2017 15:00

Hi there, 

Unfortunately the 2 (short blinks), 1 (long blink) code looks to be a faulty motherboard. When the power button does this is it an amber color? And do you still have warranty on the systems? I don't normally work on these but just going off the code listed in diags, but it could be something else so am not guaranteeing it is faulty (just that the code doesn't sound good), it just seems odd that it will randomly work...

Do all of the towers have this CUBE3 setup added in? 

Best regards,

Brad 

2 Posts

March 31st, 2017 16:00

@DELL-Brad L

For some reason the format of this board doesn't allow replying.

1. Yes, all towers have CUBE3 setup added in.
  2. I thought that the 2,1 code or any other message should be there right away. There is no need to press and hold power button for a long time.
  3. I can resurrect the tower sometime. I just have unplug all the PCIe cards and re-plug the power cable.
  4. For some reason if I use shutdown -H now command to power the system OFF this state will be there. If I just yank the power cable - it will power ON much more reliably.

-Ilya.

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

April 4th, 2017 09:00

Hi Ilya,

Can you private message me your Service Tag? I'd like to look into this a bit further. 

Best regards,

Brad

1 Message

October 17th, 2017 07:00

Brad,

I have a client with the same issue. He sent me a video of it happening. He has to unplug the machine and plug it back in to get it to boot when it does this. It happens every night, and when he comes in the next morning this has become the process. Any news on this issue? He's had the machine for about a year or so. It just started doing this within the last few months.

I have not done any troubleshooting yet except to turn off Windows 10 power save settings to keep it from going to sleep last night, but apparently it still did.

Thanks

No Events found!