Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2010 12:00

Dell Still Hasn't Created Drivers for Windows 7 for All-In-One A2420; please help me find compatible drivers.

I hope somebody here has had a similarexperience and can help. Dell tech support wants $240 for support with no guarantee they can fix the problems, so I am hoping that people on this forum may have had found a solution. 

I have the dell all-in-one XPS 2420. I installed win 7 (x64). It doesn't find two drivers. Two come up in Device Manager as Unidentified.

-Base System Device

- PCI Communications Controller

The only reduced functionality that I see is that the lights on the right hand side don't work. The system also freezes when going into sleep mode when media is playing, but that seems to be a separate issue for another time.

If anybody has found compatible x64 drivers for this all-in-one, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Wishing I never bought this PC (all in one's are only good if they are supported), but hoping that somebody there can help.

Thanks,

Nick

4 Posts

May 31st, 2010 06:00

Fortunately you don;t have to rely on Dell for the drivers. This reply is a few months late, so hopefully you're sorted by now.

FYI, if you have unrecognised devices, here's a how to look for drivers:

Open Device manager (in Win 7 - Start Menu, type 'device manager' in the search box, and click device manager to start it). Right click on the unrecognised device (will have a yellow warning icon on it), and select properties. Go to the  Details tab and select Hardware Id's from the drop-down list. This will display a line or lines of info along the lines of PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0822&SUBSYS_028A1028&REV_22

If you google the VEN_1180&DEV_0822 you will usually be able to find the device it refers to.

The other thing to do is go to intel's support site, and use the Intel Driver Update Utility  tool to scan your computer to see if it identifies the devices on your PC. (You'll need to use IE - doen't work with Firefox at the time of writing).

The two devices that aren't recognised on the XPS One A2420 are:

• Ricoh Card Reader - Dell's own update R166556 will work for this, or you can find drivers on Ricoh's site.
  • The other is the Intel Management Interface (if I remember correctly) - I think I found drivers through intel's tool I mentioned above, or by looking through Intel's chipset drivers after googling the hardware id.

Sorry it's not more specific - I can't remember exact details. A few minutes with google and the hardware ID's should see you sorted.

The XPS One 2420 works perfectly with Windows 7 64 bit - drivers are available for all components.

Hope that helps

No Events found!