Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2009 08:00

Dell Studio 540 XP drivers

I need some help. I recently purchased a Studio 540 for the wife, who hates Vista and "upgraded" it to XP. All went well, all upgrades from Microsoft were intsalled, however still have yellow checkmarks on drivers for video, audio and SM Bus. I contacted Dell which was a wate of time, they told me to contact Dell On Call, now they would help me for $239.00 US, a bit steep I think for 3 drivers.

Can anyone out there help me? There are no add ons to this PC it is all on-board audio and video.

Thanks so much

Jim

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 19th, 2009 09:00

That PC was only validated with Vista and Windows 7 so they couldn't  help you even if you had paid. Here are some drivers but they were never tested on this PC -
ALC888 HD Audio
ICH10R Chipset
Intel G45 Video

77 Posts

August 19th, 2009 09:00

Hello RapidJim,

ok so for the driver for your video, audio and SM Bus you will have to go to the company that made the card (i.e. Intel, ATI) to get the driver, i just looked under support.dell.com on your system and XP drivers are not there, hope this has helped in some way 

2 Posts

August 20th, 2009 07:00

Thanks for the help, however those drivers didn't work. After downloding and installing them and attempting to run them, I got an error saying that I didn't have that hardware. So the search was on again.

After searching all the key words I could think of I stumbled across this http://www.howtocomputer.net/2009/02/dell-studio-540-540s-xp-vista-drivers.html. This page had the chipset, audio, video, network and also a TV tuner drivers. Downloaded the chipset and audio and all my problems were fixed, no more yellow question marks and everything works, so it can be done!

Jim

No Events found!